(Closed) Lead VFX Artist
Senior Position / Full-Time
We are looking for an enthusiastic Lead VFX Artist to join our highly passionate, Montreal-based team of creative developers and industry veterans, in order to work on a brand-new and original IP for next-gen consoles and PC
As part of this full-time position, you will be responsible for envisioning, creating and implementing world-class real-time visual effects for our new and ambitious third-person Action-RPG, while also overseeing and driving the team of VFX artists responsible for their creation.
Within a medium-sized team using the Unreal Engine, you will be working under the Art Director and the Assistant Art Director’s direct supervision, in close partnership with other artists, designers and various departmental leads, in order to exert a direct influence over the end product’s quality and success.
Rogue Factor Offers
- Competitive salary and employee benefits package, including group insurance, unlimited sick days, RRSP with the employer's contribution and gym membership.
- Flexible work hours and a hybrid remote / on-site work formula.
- Advantageous development budgets and appropriate production timelines on medium size and truly unique projects - created by and for gamers.
- A dynamic, inclusive, challenging, and engaging work environment.
- Continued training and career development opportunities.
- Work closely with the Art Director, Assistant Art Director, Lead Technical Artist, other artists and team leads to create captivating real-time next-gen visual effects that will fulfill the game’s artistic vision and support the gameplay, while also respecting the principles of its creative direction and taking into account the end product’s technical constraints.
- Create high-quality, immersive and coherent next-gen visual effects, particle systems and textures, then see to their integration, iteration, benchmarking and optimization within the game engine.
- Collaborate with different stakeholders to create and implement state-of-the-art processes and techniques capable of improving the product’s VFX features, in order to ensure its qualitative distinction and superiority in comparison to other competing titles.
- Manage a team of VFX artists and their associated tasks by planning, organizing, and reviewing the workload, monitoring its repercussions on the evolving project and allowing for special and/or urgent assignments to be conducted as needed.
- Actively work with the directors, leads and managers to facilitate the information flow necessary to describe the project’s progression, efficiently plan the workload, identify risks and provide relevant solutions to complex problems.
- Push back the limits of the project’s creative direction by proactively contributing to brainstorming sessions and art reviews, in order to propose new ideas and contents, as well as to provide advice on the best practices to drive their implementation.
- Take part in additional duties, which may include assisting with content creation, quality control and any other activities necessary to the project’s delivery and success.
- B.A. or B.S. Degree or equivalent in a relevant field (Visual Effects, Animation, Cinema, Computer Science, Game Design, Graphic Design, Visual Arts or other).
- 5+ years of experience in video game art, including a notable experience as a VFX Artist in a successful title, preferably in an Action-RPG context.
- Proven project management skills and relevant experience as a Lead Artist, or leading a team during a full project in the video game industry, with the ability to convert high-level product requirements into technical design and tasks.
- Strong problem-solving mindset, with the willingness to pass on explanations and knowledge, in order to empower others to implement solutions and best practices.
- Ability for rapid and iterative creation based on peer feedback and directions.
- Experience with Houdini, Unreal Engine 4 (or equivalent) and its VFX system, Niagara.
- Experience with texture creation in Photoshop or Substance Painter/Designer
- Strong knowledge of industry trends in terms of 2D/3D VFX pipelines.
- Knowledge of industry standard 2D art tools, video compositing and 3D software.
- Understanding the links between art, visual storytelling and other video game pillars such as gameplay, narrative design, level design, visual effects, lighting and audio, as well as their capacity to synergize in order to generate emotions, immersion and engagement.
- Experience with (or marked interest for) RPG and 3rd-person Action games.
- Extreme attention to details, as well as the capacity to clearly represent abstract concepts.
- The ideal candidate will be autonomous, creative, open-minded, exhibit a positive attitude and possess strong organizational and communication skills (in both French and English), as well as display an eagerness for learning and self-improvement.
- Experience in shipping 2+ successful AA/AAA titles for consoles and PC, while occupying a VFX Artist role through at least one complete development cycle.
- Knowledge of Python and other scripting languages.
- Experience in 2D/3D animation.
- Experience in driving production roadmaps with AGILE management tools like Jira.
Candidates must be authorized to work in Canada.
Rogue Factor is an equal opportunity employer.
Although we wish to sincerely thank all applicants, only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
ABOUT ROGUE FACTOR
Design Distinctions Create Desire
At Rogue Factor, we truly believe that the most important aspect of any creation is the strength of its design distinctions.
A powerful idea is one that has a voice of its own, born from an audacious vision to generate new meaning and leave no one indifferent. In order for a game to be truly memorable, for it to jolt people’s hearts and minds, its distinctive elements should be mystifying when first witnessed. They should challenge the audience’s pre-defined perspectives and expectations, forcing people to stop in their tracks, take notice, process, and dissect the information.
When this effect is achieved, when a product’s distinctions completely capture the onlooker’s imagination, it generates fascination and desire. A desire to know more, a desire to understand, to be a part of and possess.
The New Rogue Factor - Montreal’s Premier Boutique Studio
With “Design Distinctions Create Desire” as our new guiding philosophy, we are hard at work planning and gearing up for our studio’s next 10 years and beyond, as we aim to become what we affectionately dub Montreal’s first Boutique Studio.
While our hometown is known the world over for its vibrant game industry, comprising both renowned AAA giants and a myriad of small indies, we believe that a space exists right in the middle for something radically different. A space for the emergence of a bold and original new model - a middleweight developer with the capacity to produce ambitious and world-class titles that are intricate, deep, personal and captivating.
We want to create video games that are not afraid of being just that - games - utterly interactive and mechanically engrossing. In order to achieve this, our roadmap foresees the expansion of our current team to a total of 80-100 members, working with enviable development budgets and appropriate production timelines on large-scale-yet-intimate and truly unique projects, created by and for gamers.
Our goal is to offer breathtaking original tales that will unfold as you, the player, get to live and breathe them for yourself like never before. By fully embracing this ideal and striving to achieve its very embodiment, our ambition is nothing less than to write tomorrow’s gaming History.