We are looking for an enthusiastic Lead Programmer to join our highly passionate, Montreal-based team of creative developers and industry veterans, in order to work on a brand-new and original IP for next-gen consoles and PC.
As part of this full-time position, you will be in charge of driving the design and implementations of all game systems – leading, growing and mentoring a team of programmers throughout the project’s large-scale development, in close collaboration with other department leads.
ROGUE FACTOR OFFERS
- Competitive salary and employee benefits package, including group insurance, unlimited sick days, RRSP with the employer’s contribution and gym membership.
- Flexible work hours and a hybrid remote / on-site work formula.
- Advantageous development budgets and appropriate production timelines on medium size and truly unique projects, created by and for gamers.
- A dynamic, inclusive, challenging, and engaging work environment.
- Continued training and career development opportunities.
- Oversee the architecture of game systems in close collaboration with the design team and other programmers, in order to define the mechanics and underlying systems that need to be created, and then drive their implementation and deployment.
- Develop and implement gameplay features and systems in C++ within Unreal Engine, in order to fulfill design needs and intentions.
- Manage a team of programmers and their associated tasks by planning, organizing, reviewing the workload, as well as monitoring its impact on the evolving project.
- Communicate efficiently in order to coach and guide your team – sharing knowledge, motivating and inspiring others to generate new ideas and achieve tangible results.
- Actively work with other department leads and management, in order to facilitate the information flow necessary to describe the project’s progression, efficiently plan the workload, identify risks and provide relevant solutions to complex problems.
- Develop, test, profile and optimize well-engineered code (structured, reliable, maintainable, and bug-free, in consistency with coding standards).
- Contribute to R&D on anything that could accelerate and improve development pipelines.
- Participate in regular code reviews
- Take part in additional duties, which may include assisting with content creation, quality control and any other activities necessary to the project’s delivery and success.
- Bachelor’s Degree/diploma in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, Information Technology or equivalent.
- 5+ years of experience with C++, including experience in multithreaded and memory constrained environments.
- Proven project management skills and relevant experience as a lead programmer or leading a team of at least 5 people during a full project in the video game industry, with the ability to convert high-level product requirements into technical design and tasks.
- Experience working on one or more commercial gaming projects from preproduction to release, with direct involvement on multiple areas of game code.
- Strong problem-solving mindset, with the willingness to pass on explanations and knowledge, in order to empower others to implement solutions and best practices.
- The ideal candidate will be autonomous, exhibit a positive attitude and possess strong communication skills (in both French and English), displaying a capacity for analysis, judgment, and conflict management, as well as an eagerness for learning and self-improvement.
- Experience with Unreal Engine.
- Strong knowledge of scripting languages (C#, Lua, Python, Perl).
- Strong conceptual and technical skills in object-oriented programming.
- Experience in shipping 2+ successful AA/AAA titles for consoles and PC, while occupying a Lead Programmer role over entire development cycles.
- Experience in driving technical roadmaps with project management tools like Jira.
- Experience working with current generation consoles (PS4, Xbox One & PC), including dealing with TRC compliance issues.
ABOUT ROGUE FACTOR
DESIGN DISTINCTIONS CREATE DESIRE
At Rogue Factor, we truly believe that the most important aspect of any creation is the strength of its design distinctions.
A powerful idea is one that has a voice of its own, born from an audacious vision to generate new meaning and leave no one indifferent. In order for a game to be truly memorable, for it to jolt people’s hearts and minds, its distinctive elements should be mystifying when first witnessed. They should challenge the audience’s pre-defined perspectives and expectations, forcing people to stop in their tracks, take notice, process, and dissect the information.
When this effect is achieved, when a product’s distinctions completely capture the onlooker’s imagination, it generates fascination and desire. A desire to know more, a desire to understand, to be a part of and possess.
THE NEW ROGUE FACTOR – MONTREAL’S PREMIER BOUTIQUE STUDIO
With “Design Distinctions Create Desire” as our new guiding philosophy, we are hard at work planning and gearing up for our studio’s next 10 years and beyond, as we aim to become what we affectionately dub Montreal’s first Boutique Studio.
While our hometown is known the world over for its vibrant game industry, comprising both renowned AAA giants and a myriad of small indies, we believe that a space exists right in the middle for something radically different. A space for the emergence of a bold and original new model – a middleweight developer with the capacity to produce ambitious and world-class titles that are intricate, deep, personal and captivating.
We want to create video games that are not afraid of being just that – games – utterly interactive and mechanically engrossing. In order to achieve this, our roadmap foresees the expansion of our current team to a total of 80-100 members, working with enviable development budgets and appropriate production timelines on large-scale-yet-intimate and truly unique projects – created by and for gamers.
Our goal is to offer breathtaking original tales that will unfold as you, the player, get to live and breathe them for yourself like never before. By fully embracing this ideal and striving to achieve its very embodiment, our ambition is nothing less than to write tomorrow’s gaming History.
- Rogue Factor is an equal opportunity employer.
- Candidates must be authorized to work in Canada.
Although we wish to sincerely thank all applicants, only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. For any questions, please contact us.