We are looking for an enthusiastic Combat Designer to join our highly passionate, Montreal-based team of creative developers and industry veterans, in order to work on a brand-new and original IP for next-gen consoles and PC.
As part of this full-time position, you will be in charge of envisioning, designing, and driving the creation of a state of the art third-person combat system for our new and ambitious third-person Action-RPG project.
Within a medium-sized team using Unreal Engine, you will be working under the supervision of the Creative Director and Lead Game Designer, in close partnership with other designers and various departmental leads, in order to exert a direct influence over the end product’s quality and success.
ROGUE FACTOR OFFERS
- Competitive salary and employee benefits package, including group insurance, unlimited sick days, RRSP with the employer’s contribution and gym membership.
- Flexible work hours and a hybrid remote / on-site work formula.
- Advantageous development budgets and appropriate production timelines on medium size and truly unique projects – created by and for gamers.
- A dynamic, inclusive, challenging, and engaging work environment.
- Continued training and career development opportunities.
- Drive the conceptualization, creation, implementation and iterative development of a complete third-person combat system, which will hold a central part in an ambitious third-person Action-RPG made with Unreal Engine.
- Work closely with the Creative Director and the Lead Game Designer, other designers and team leads to create state-of-the-art 3rd-person combat experience which will remain coherent, authentic, captivating and immersive, all while respecting the project’s creative vision.
- Strive to push the boundaries of creative guidelines to implement mechanics, systems, controls, move sets, and behaviors that will not only fit the game’s vision, but elevate it to the next level.
- Design and prototype compelling combat dynamics and encounters, worthy of world-class AAA titles.
- Iterate on, balance and polish all aspects of the real-time player-driven combat system – from its technical and philosophical standpoints, to its feeling and depth.
- Perform and support integration activities of all combat-specific gameplay elements throughout all of the project’s systemic variables, while also proposing a host of interactive and non-interactive processes to deploy, in order to generate engagement and emotion from the players.
- Push back the limits of the project’s creative direction by proactively contributing to brainstorming sessions, in order to propose new ideas and contents, as well as provide advice on the best practices to drive their implementation.
- Write and maintain exhaustive, clear and frequently updated design documentation, in order to provide a technical guide/portrait to all Combat systems stakeholders.
- Anticipate, organize and prioritize the design workload, in order to fulfill production objectives.
- Take part in additional duties, which may include assisting with content creation, quality control and any other activities necessary to the project’s delivery and success.
- B.A. or B.S. Degree or equivalent in a relevant field (Computer Science, Game Design, Communications, Cinema, Visual Arts or other).
- 3+ years of experience in video game design, including a notable contribution to the design and implementation of a third-person combat system and its associated mechanics in a successful title, preferably in an Action-RPG context.
- Experience with (or marked interest for) 3rd-person action and RPG games, with a strong emphasis on their combat mechanics and components.
- Experience with rapid prototyping, iterative development and feasibility studies.
- Extreme attention to details, as well as the capacity to solve complex problems and to clearly represent abstract concepts.
- The ideal candidate will be autonomous, exhibit a positive attitude and possess strong analytical, organizational and communication skills (in both French and English), as well as display an eagerness for learning and self-improvement.
- Experience in shipping 1+ successful AA/AAA titles for consoles and PC, while occupying a Combat Designer role through at least one complete development cycle.
- Experience with Unreal Engine and its Blueprint system, scripting and databases.
- Experience in following production roadmaps with project management tools like Jira.
- Technical knowledge of armed and unarmed melee combat techniques.
- Animation experience.
ABOUT ROGUE FACTOR
DESIGN DISTINCTIONS CREATE DESIRE
At Rogue Factor, we truly believe that the most important aspect of any creation is the strength of its design distinctions.
A powerful idea is one that has a voice of its own, born from an audacious vision to generate new meaning and leave no one indifferent. In order for a game to be truly memorable, for it to jolt people’s hearts and minds, its distinctive elements should be mystifying when first witnessed. They should challenge the audience’s pre-defined perspectives and expectations, forcing people to stop in their tracks, take notice, process, and dissect the information.
When this effect is achieved, when a product’s distinctions completely capture the onlooker’s imagination, it generates fascination and desire. A desire to know more, a desire to understand, to be a part of and possess.
THE NEW ROGUE FACTOR – MONTREAL’S PREMIER BOUTIQUE STUDIO
With “Design Distinctions Create Desire” as our new guiding philosophy, we are hard at work planning and gearing up for our studio’s next 10 years and beyond, as we aim to become what we affectionately dub Montreal’s first Boutique Studio.
While our hometown is known the world over for its vibrant game industry, comprising both renowned AAA giants and a myriad of small indies, we believe that a space exists right in the middle for something radically different. A space for the emergence of a bold and original new model – a middleweight developer with the capacity to produce ambitious and world-class titles that are intricate, deep, personal and captivating.
We want to create video games that are not afraid of being just that – games – utterly interactive and mechanically engrossing. In order to achieve this, our roadmap foresees the expansion of our current team to a total of 80-100 members, working with enviable development budgets and appropriate production timelines on large-scale-yet-intimate and truly unique projects – created by and for gamers.
Our goal is to offer breathtaking original tales that will unfold as you, the player, get to live and breathe them for yourself like never before. By fully embracing this ideal and striving to achieve its very embodiment, our ambition is nothing less than to write tomorrow’s gaming History.
- Rogue Factor is an equal opportunity employer.
- Candidates must be authorized to work in Canada.
Although we wish to sincerely thank all applicants, only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. For any questions, please contact us.