Technical Artist: Animation (All Levels)
At Rockstar, we create the games we would want to play ourselves.
A career at Rockstar is about being part of a global team working on some of the most creatively rewarding, large-scale projects to be found in any entertainment medium. You would be welcomed to a friendly, inclusive environment where you can learn, and collaborate with some of the most talented people in the industry.
Rockstar India is looking for a passionate and talented Technical Artist: Animation to join the team to help develop and support our titles.
This is a full-time permanent position based out of Rockstar’s unique game development studio in Bangalore.
WHAT WE DO
- Bring innovation and resolution to technical problems and challenges. throughout Animation production - from content creation through to the game (across multiple platforms).
- Create and maintain tools that improve our Animation creation/editing workflows.
- Provide general support for Animation team and document/share solutions/knowledge with wider team.
- Proactively use knowledge and experience to identify and solve problems before they affect the Animation team.
- Work closely with fellow Technical Artists as part of wider global team working on interconnected tools and systems.
- Collaborate and communicate with other departments (aside from the Animation department) such as Rigging, Tools and Runtime (Animation) teams.
- This is a Technical Artist role with an Animation specialism. The candidate could potentially be involved in a wide variety of technical tasks related to Animation (Ingame, Cutscene, Face, Rigging, Production and Resource).
- Note: This not a regular Animator position so the candidate won't be doing any Animating.
- Creating tools within Motionbuilder to support and push forward workflows across the various disciplines of Animation.
- Writing standalone tools/systems (in Python/QT and C#) to connect various DCCs and inhouse tooling together into a cohesive Animation pipeline.
- Assist the Rigging team in creation of highly advanced facial/character/weapon/vehicle rigs and related tooling.
- Help develop and build on the facial animation and recognition pipeline.
- Write C++ plugins to customise and extend DCC packages as required for our bespoke needs.
- Develop our Automation systems and writing new behaviour to support on-going Animation development across multiple projects.
- Create production tools to support new pipelines and future tech.
- Write documentation for pipelines/tools created.
- Staying current with latest technologies/research ongoing in the field to help keep our Animation tools and pipelines at the cutting edge.
- A relevant degree or professional experience in the game industry as a Technical Artist: Animation or similar/related position.
- In the absence of the above; videos or an online portfolio with relevant examples of your work will be required so we can assess your skill-set.
- Strong coding/scripting skills (candidate may be asked to complete a test).
- Ability to write tools within DCC packages or standalone.
- Understanding of using DCC packages for authoring Animation for games.
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to think outside the box.
- Comfortable coding in an IDE and debugging.
- Strong communication, self-management, and organizational skills.
- Effective time management skills to meet deadlines and milestones.
- Professional experience developing pipelines and creating tools is highly advantageous.
- Animation tool creation/scripting experience with Motionbuilder, Maya, Houdini is highly advantageous.
- Experience with Python (standalone or within the context of a relevant DCC) is highly advantageous.
- Experience with QT (PySide/PyQt or C++) and Model/View pattern is highly advantageous.
- Experience programming C++ plugins for Motionbuilder, Maya, Houdini or similar DCCs for Animation.
- Experience using source control software (i.e. Perforce, Git) and working on a code base collaboratively.
- Solid foundation in math (specifically 3D math).
- Experience with facial animation, facial motion capture, and/or facial tracking.
- Professional experience as an Animator in games or VFX (although this is not an Animator role).
- Experience of using Shotgun.
- Knowledge of character rigging and standards.
- Professional experience working and developing in a multi-platform, multi-project environment.
- Professional experience working in a large team spread across multiple locations and timezones.
- Experience with C# and .NET Core/Framework.
- Experience working with WPF, XAML, and the MVVM pattern.
- Experience with NoSql (MongoDB/Elastic) or relational/Sql databases.
- Experience using other game engines (e.g. Unreal/Unity or proprietary tech).
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply with a CV and cover-letter demonstrating how you meet the skills above. If we would like to move forward with your application, a Rockstar recruiter will reach out to you to explain next steps and guide you through the process.
Rockstar is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to hiring, promoting, and compensating employees based on their qualifications and demonstrated ability to perform job responsibilities.
If you’ve got the right skills for the job, we want to hear from you. We encourage applications from all suitable candidates regardless of age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, belief, or race.