Manager, Data Engineering
At Rockstar Games, we create world-class entertainment experiences.
A career at Rockstar Games is about being part of a team working on some of the most creatively rewarding and ambitious projects to be found in any entertainment medium. You would be welcomed to a dedicated and inclusive environment where you can learn, and collaborate with some of the most talented people in the industry.
Rockstar is seeking a Manager, Data Engineering to join a team focused on building a cutting-edge game analytics platform and tools to better understand our players and enhance their experience in our games. This is a full-time permanent position based out of Rockstar’s unique game development studio in Carlsbad, CA or our NYC studio in the heart of Manhattan.
The ideal candidate will be skilled in developing complex ingestion and transformation processes with an emphasis on reliability and performance. In collaboration with other data engineers, database administrators, and developers, the candidate will empower the team of analysts and data scientists to deliver data driven insights and applications to company stakeholders.
WHAT WE DO
- The Player Insights & Analytics (PIA) team provides insights and actionable results to a wide variety of stakeholders across the organization in support of their decision making.
- We innovate as a global team to develop cutting-edge data pipelines serving data products, data models, reports, analyses, and machine learning applications.
- Lead, manage, and inspire a team of world class data engineers, providing leadership through coaching and mentorship on a regular basis.
- Lead the development of pipelines, data products, and tools for the Analytics team and partner groups.
- Lead the development of frameworks, data models, tools, and processes to ensure data influences decisions at all levels.
- Act as an SME for all data pipelines.
- Lead the implementation of streaming technologies such as Kafka and Spark-Streaming.
- Lead the development of real-time and batch data and applications with a team of analysts and data scientists who create insights and analytics applications for our stakeholders.
- Lead the development of deployment automation and operational support strategies.
- Lead the development of robust CI/CD processes and team guidelines pertaining to the pipelines and tools developed.
- Influence the analytics and technology roadmap.
- Participates in the recruitment of the best-in-class data engineers.
- 3+ years of experience managing and supervising a team.
- 5+ years of work experience with ETL, data modeling, and business intelligence big data architectures.
- 5+ years of experience with the Hadoop ecosystem (HDFS, Spark, Oozie, Impala, etc.) and big data ecosystems (Kafka, Cassandra, etc.).
- Expert in at least one SQL language such as T-SQL or PL/SQL.
- Experience developing and managing data warehouses on a terabyte or petabyte scale.
- Strong experience in massively parallel processing (MPP) & columnar databases.
- Experience working with Real-Time streaming pipelines.
- Experience with Python, Java, and shell scripting.
- Experience working in a Linux environment.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Proven ability to reconcile technical and business perspectives.
- Proven ability to develop and maintain good relations and communicate with people at all hierarchical levels.
- Autonomy and entrepreneurship.
- Strong mentoring abilities.
- Strong team spirit.
- Passion for Rockstar Games and our titles.
Please note that these are desirable skills and are not required to apply for the position.
- Experience with event processing frameworks.
- Experience with Java or Scala programming languages.
- Familiar with Restful APIs.
- Experience with Artifact Repositories.
- Game industry experience highly desired.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply with a resume and cover letter demonstrating how you meet the skills above. If we would like to move forward with your application, a Rockstar recruiter will reach out to you to explain next steps and guide you through the process.
Rockstar is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to hiring, promoting, and compensating employees based on their qualifications and demonstrated ability to perform job responsibilities.
If you’ve got the right skills for the job, we want to hear from you. We encourage applications from all suitable candidates regardless of age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, belief, or race.