Character Concept Artist
Position at Rockstar North
At Rockstar Games, we create the games we would want to play ourselves.
A career at Rockstar is about being part of a team working on some of the most creatively rewarding, large-scale projects to be found in any entertainment medium. You would be welcomed to a friendly, inclusive environment where you can collaborate and raise the creative bar with some of the most talented people in the industry.
Rockstar North is looking for a talented Character Concept Artist who will have a passion and willingness to be part of our Character design process. This is a full-time permanent position within the Character Team, based out of Rockstar’s unique game development studio in the heart of Edinburgh.
WHAT WE DO
- We design, create and populate the world with the people and creatures that bring the story and play to life, for both our story-driven and online game worlds.
- Our characters are the embodiment of the player’s experiences and their interactions when they play – how they look, feel and interact with other living things.
- You’ll join a global team setting high standards across all of our projects, who have an exacting production focus and an obsession for getting the minutiae right.
- Work with the Art Direction & Character Leadership team to create high quality, consistent and superlative character concept art.
- Conduct research and reference gathering to aid in the development of vibe and material Boards.
- Create quick sketches to assist in the visual communication with our art, animation and design teams.
- Deliver the highest quality concept art for both aesthetic impact and visual storytelling.
- Communicate clearly, effectively and proactively with both Art leadership and Directors.
- Participate in R&D and problem solving to reach artistic solutions to technical problems.
- Tertiary level Art qualification.
- Passion and strong awareness for contemporary culture; including Videogames, Film & TV, Internet and Social Platforms and broader Arts/Creative knowledge.
- Expertise in digital painting in Adobe Photoshop.
- Exceptional traditional drawing and painting skills in a digital medium.
- Knowledge of anatomy, perspective, composition, and use of color is essential.
- Ability to work in a variety of styles from graphic to photo realistic.
- Flexible, collaborative, creative nature with strong problem-solving skills.
- Understanding of deadlines and ability to shift work focus accordingly for artwork delivery.
- Willing to both comprehend and successfully work within restraints of the medium.
- Work effectively within a team setting, under project driven goals.
- Strong communication and time management skills.
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task.
- Willingness to learn and incorporate in-house creative tools to the process.
Please note that these are desirable skills and are not required to apply for the position.
- Practical Industry experience in either Games, Film & TV, VFX.
- Additional Proficiencies in 3D, Sculpting and or Painting software.
- Understanding of game art pipelines and toolsets.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply with a CV and cover-letter demonstrating how you meet the skills above.
As this is an Art role, your application MUST include a working link to a portfolio of relevant work for assessment to be considered.
If we would like to move forward with your application, a Rockstar recruiter will reach out to you to explain next steps and guide you through the process.
Rockstar is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to hiring, promoting, and compensating employees based on their qualifications and demonstrated ability to perform job responsibilities.
If you’ve got the right skills for the job, we want to hear from you. We encourage applications from all suitable candidates regardless of age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, belief, or race.