Technical Director, Universal Apps
Work with the most passionate, team-oriented, visionary, and crazy-smart people you’ll ever meet in your life. Community is the heart and soul of Roblox. Over 30 million active players engage on our platform every day!
The impact that you can have at Roblox is boundless! Much like our platform, the possibilities here are limitless. We’re looking for someone who’s eager to take on a meaningful role in the ongoing success of Roblox on a massive scale.
Are you ready to take Roblox – and your career – to the next level?
As a Technical Director, Universal Apps, you’ll be in charge of the overall technical vision and execution for the Universal App, which is a client side technology that enables the development of application features across all of the Roblox supported platforms including: iOS, Android, OSX, Windows, Xbox and more to come. Our technology is the foundation for multiple product lines and will serve as the cornerstone that enables both 1st party and 3rd party capabilities for years to come. This is a senior engineering individual contributor role.
- Battle ready: You have already built and deployed a system supporting millions of concurrent streams and are not afraid of any part of the technical stack (encoding, transport, transcoding, etc…). You are eager to apply what you learned and lead the upcoming platform for all Roblox real time communication (audio, data, video).
- Experienced: You have 10+ years of experience in large scale real time solutions with a proven track record of delivering low latency fault tolerant technical solutions. You have a BS in Computer Science, MS/PhD are a definite plus.
- Knowledgeable: You have a deep understanding of all the components required to build a real time streaming system and are able to go deep on any required area from networking, protocols, codecs up to buffering/rendering. You can recommend one route versus another and bring a team of engineers to consensus. You also love to pick up new technologies/codecs as the landscape evolves.
- Versatile: You’re a jack of all trades and you have mastered several languages and technologies already; you can easily adapt to any situation when the need arises and come with the right solution.
- Creative: You take a creative and strategic approach to solving hard problems and driving new tools/functionality for our developers
- Team-oriented: You have a magnetic personality that invigorates the team around you and you are used to lead technical teams in any situation.
- Be responsible for the technology that will help Roblox scale our application development with a growing number of teams and engineers.
- Lead the technical direction and implementation necessary to scale the Universal App architecture across our tech stack of native code, C++ and Lua.
- Envision the toolings and build infrastructure that are necessary to support frequent features delivery from many independent engineering teams.
- Stay on top of the new functionalities from the 3rd party platforms that Roblox support and strategically introduce and enable them as new capabilities into our product lines.
- Work with the industry and any 3rd party vendors to satisfy any necessary compliance requirements
- Interface with the industry and communities where applicable for our open source footprints.
Perks & Benefits
- Work with an awesome team of smart and motivated people on cool and unique projects that are used by millions of active users every day
- Roblox Admin badge for your avatar and rockstar status with our community
- Free catered lunches and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Robust medical, dental and vision insurance
- Fitness reimbursement program
- 401K program
- Pre-tax commuter program
- Unlimited vacation policy
Roblox’s mission is to build a human co-experience platform that enables shared experiences among billions of users.
Every day, more than 32.6 million people around the world have fun with friends as they explore millions of digital experiences. All of these experiences are built by the Roblox community, made up of over eight million creators. We believe in building a safe, civil, and diverse community—one that inspires and fosters creativity and positive relationships between people around the world.
For the last three years, Roblox has been recognized as a Certified Great Place to Work®. We foster a company culture that empowers people to do the most defining work of their career. Much like our platform, the possibilities at Roblox are limitless. We’re looking for people that share our vision of bringing people together through shared experiences and are eager to take on a meaningful role in the ongoing success of Roblox on a massive scale.