Every day, tens of millions of people from around the world come to Roblox to play, learn, work, and socialize in immersive digital experiences created by the community. Our vision is to build a platform that enables shared experiences among billions of users. This is what’s known as the metaverse: a persistent space where anyone can do just about anything they can imagine, from anywhere in the world and on any device. Join us and you’ll usher in a new category of human interaction while solving exceptional challenges that you won’t find anywhere else.
As a Senior Backend Software Engineer on the Personalization team, you will help build features that are used by millions of users daily. Team's mission is to connect a billion users with the best personalized experiences and friends at the right time. The team covers an extremely diverse range of problems at all levels of the stack at high scale. At their core, they are fundamental to content distribution across the Roblox suite of products, content comprehension, search, and recommendations. With daily active users growing at a new record rate, we are looking for experienced backend engineers who are passionate about designing and scaling the systems that power Roblox's content distribution funnel across different surfaces. You will report to the Senior Engineering manager on Personalization within the Growth Personalization team.
- Design and build the systems architecture that powers Roblox content distribution across surfaces.
- Lead the design and implementation necessary to grow the backend Infrastructure across our tech stack of C#, Go, and several data pipeline technologies.
- Author specs for new features and improvement
- Lead other engineers by example and through technical direction as an individual contributor
- Become an expert on our technology stack and make sure we always build new services the right way
- Collaborate with other teams within Roblox to make sure we are building products with community mindset.
- Balance researching new technologies with a practical approach to work towards the research efforts into the Roblox products
- Communicate with the industry and communities where applicable and be ambassador for Roblox.
- Battle Ready: You have 4+ years of experience designing and building full-stack systems behind consumer-facing APIs that can handle large numbers of concurrent users.
- Have dealt with scalability and reliability issues associated with different system architectures including microservice architecture.
- Break down product requirements into iterative deliverable stages. Knowledgeable about server-side architecture/design and compiled languages such as C#, Java, C++, or others.
- An expert in SQL database-based applications with in-depth knowledge of query optimization and scalability concerns.
- Exposure to Discovery products like Search and Recommendations or real-time machine learning systems.
- You have a BS in Computer Science or a related discipline, Advanced degrees are a definite plus.
- User oriented: While deeply technical, you always start with the needs of the user, whether they are Roblox users or internal engineers.
- Versatile: You have mastered several languages and technologies already
- Industry-leading compensation package
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Roflex - Flexible and supportive work policy
- Roblox Admin badge for your avatar
- At Roblox HQ:
- Free catered lunches
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass