As a Game Designer, you will design, tweak, and optimize the player experience. Your analytical skills, player insight, and creativity aid in crafting in- and out-of-game experiences that engage and surprise players. You will collaborate with interdisciplinary teams and work with every tool at hand to innovate and iterate player-focused designs that'll delight millions around the world.
VALORANT is Riot’s take on a character-based tactical shooter (for more info on VALORANT click here!). As a Game Designer III working on the VALORANT Agents team you will design and deliver world-class agents that continue to surprise and delight players. You will deeply understand the tactical loop and the principles we utilize to develop approachable, yet masterful agents. As an experienced developer, you will leverage your unique experiences to help bring new perspectives and design philosophies to the team and help mentor junior designers. You will be responsible for monitoring and maintaining the live health of the game, ensuring that agents in VALORANT are creating the best possible experience for our players. You will report to the Lead Agent Designer.
- Design gameplay content and systems with a focus on Agents and live balance
- Work with other disciplines to take content and features from conception to our players’ hands.
- Script prototype and shippable content and features while creating reusable tools and tech for other designers
- Seek opportunities for new design spaces in collaboration with Product Managers and Design Leadership.
- Create and provide multiple potential designs and solutions. Articulate trade-offs and risks between different options with a clear understanding of content and product level goals.
- Playtest VALORANT and help push for continued improvements for existing designs and fresh prototypes.
- Provide mentorship and expertise to help level up your peers and improve final products across all aspects of development
- 5+ years of experience in professional Game Design
- Shipped or worked on at least one AAA+ online competitive game
- Demonstrated proficiency in scripting in at least one engine in a shipped title
- Can create and improve complex systems with attention to the player impacts and downstream effects
- Proven ability to articulate decision making frameworks with other designers and team members
- Demonstrated proficiency in identifying new design spaces based on player audience, product goals and design frameworks
- Deep level of understanding, passion, and engagement with online competitive games.
- Familiarity with online shooters, especially VALORANT and/or tactical shooters
- Views potential 'charged' player feedback as an opportunity to better understand and improve the product.
- Experience balancing competitive integrity with satisfying game feel.
- Experience mentoring junior designers
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in gaming
It's our policy to provide equal employment opportunities for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).