Technical Artist III (Lighting & Surfacing) - League, Gameplay
As a Lighting & Surfacing Technical Artist, you will focus on supporting artists with shaders, materials, lighting, and art asset prototypes so they can realize their work in-game. You will work with artists across all departments from modeling to vfx to ensure all assets work within the scope of the technical pipeline requirements. Working closely with each artistic department, you will standardize and improve development processes for the production of assets, materials, shaders, LODs, and interactions in the pipeline.
As a Technical Artist III on the Gameplay team you will use your breadth of game development knowledge to help guide the continuing evolution of League’s champions, core maps, and UI. This will include leading the charge on the artistic side of material development for assets and coordinating work with artists (in-house and outsourced) to execute high quality content. You’ll also identify, plan and execute improvements to how assets are constructed to make them more efficient, more maintainable, and up to date with the latest League technology.
- Level up the end-to-end workflow for our many art disciplines, such as Character Art, Animation, and VFX
- Provide technical support to artists working from our art workflows, collecting data to further improve the tools they are using
- Produce technical assets (such as shaders/materials)
- Prototype new art assets and explore varied avenues to execute them
- Revisit and improve legacy assets to meet the modern needs of League of Legends
- Work with engineering to set and enforce memory budgets
- Collaborate with production to develop a long-term strategy to maintain and evolve the art workflows for your product
- Build close relationships with the artists and engineers you work alongside with to understand their needs and provide leadership on tool and pipeline development
- Be a proactive mentor for other Technical Artists in their craft
- 5+ years experience as a technical artist in games or related industries
- Experience in efficient material and shader development for 3d characters, props, and environments
- Strong art skills with experience and an understanding of modeling, shaders, texturing, & lighting for games
- Extensive experience working with game engine scripting and materials, and real-time lighting and workflows
- Highly proficient communication skills and capacity to act as an ambassador between art and engineering
- Superb critical thinking skills, particularly as it pertains to translating artistic requirements to sustainable workflow design
- Expertise in content creation and tool development in DCC tools, especially Maya, Photoshop, and Substance Designer/Painter
- Experience with look dev, color theory, camera lenses, and lighting direction
As a part of the application process, candidates will be expected to provide a portfolio or demo reel of their work and may be asked to complete an art test.
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunities for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).