Sr. Director, Engineering - Global Esports
Riot Games was founded in 2006 by Brandon Beck and Marc Merrill with the intent to change the way video games are made and supported for players. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to worldwide acclaim. The game has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. Players are the foundation of our community and it’s for them we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience. Riot Games is headquartered in Los Angeles, CA and has 23 offices worldwide.
The Global Esports team is focused on delivering amazing fan experiences through our global esports events and regional competitions. Our professional, semi-professional, and grassroots competitive tiers across all Riot games involve thousands of players and hundreds of organizations competing every week.
As a Senior Director, Engineering, You will report to the Head of Global Esports and work closely with our senior product leaders to shape all elements of our technical done strategy to meet Riot's esports goals. You'll be responsible for the technical infrastructure to support Riot competitions and live events, and produce the broadcasts of these competitions across all Riot games. You will also build and direct cross-functional teams across the globe to innovate and create products and services that enhance the fan experience watching Riot competitions and events. You'll take ownership of the multi-year technical planning, strategy and vision for Riot Esports globally. You will oversee all technical decisions as we develop, launch and scale industry defining products, services, and infrastructure shaping the future of sport.
- Owns technical strategy for Global Esports to build and enhance products and services supporting industry-leading sports initiatives and ensuring high-quality viewing experience for players across the world
- Design, build, and maintain broadcast infrastructure, ensuring systems are scalable, and produce high-quality esports shows that thrill our fans
- Sets standards for content delivery architecture, helping production team accomplish broadcast strategy
- Partners with Broadcast organization to proactively identify areas for continued growth and progress
- Design, build, operate and maintain backend infrastructure that support both local and remote online play for Riot competitions
- Responsible for constructing, operating and ongoing technical development of Riot's watch platform
- Owns technical execution of in-game integrations and digital merch (e.g., drops)
- Manages uptime of the esports watch platform and own high-level maintenance plan
- Develops new products and services that are valuable to our fans and external partners
- Builds and provides management, guidance and mentorship to a large technical organization
- Scales team by effectively leveraging recruiting resources, to attract and hire top tier talent to support team growth
- Accountable for overall team health, actively partnering with People partners to identify creative ways to engage and retain talent
- Builds leadership and succession pipelines within the teams and encourages constant focus on career and craft growth and development
- Sets and manages annual global tech budget and strategic vision
- 15+ years of technology experience
- 10+ years as an Engineering Manager leading teams of engineers
- 5+ years of experience in large scale technical product development
- 5+ year(s) in a director level position (managing managers) and guiding the direction and implementation of a product
- Experience managing complex, multi-function teams and organizational administration; including experience in the management of distributed teams
- Experience recruiting candidates and growing an engineering team
- Knowledge of esports ecosystems
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).