(Closed) Software Engineer, Game Agnostic Platform Services
Riot Games was founded in 2006 by Brandon Beck and Marc Merrill with the intent to change the way video games are made and supported for players. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to worldwide acclaim. The game has since gone on to become the most played PC games in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. Players are the foundation of our community and it’s for them we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience. Riot Games is headquartered in Los Angeles, CA and has 23 offices worldwide.
Riot engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the chance to work in a variety of broader domains. As a Software Engineer, you’ll also dive into projects that focus on team cohesiveness and cross-team goals. You’ll lead without authority and provide other engineers with a clear illustration of extraordinary engineering.
The Player Platform initiative builds the player-facing software and systems that are shared between games at Riot. You will be an important member of a multi-functional team that is building a common platform on which Riot will build future games.
The Game Agnostic Platform Services team provides functionality that is commonly used in any game. By concentrating expertise in game platforms, we are able to offer robust, scalable features to all current and future Riot games. Game teams integrating with these offerings are then freed up to focus on content and features to delight our players.
As a Software Engineer on the Player Platform, Game Agnostic Platform Services (GAPS) team, you will design and operate services that support Riot’s players across the globe and help games get in player’s hands faster. Through collaboration with game teams, you’ll identify opportunities to centralize functionality and architect solutions that enable scalability and reliability worldwide. This position reports to the Engineering Manager accountable for Player Platform, Game Agnostic Platform Services.
- Develop backend services to be consumed by game teams as a part of their game platform.
- Design and build systems compatible with Riot wide standards.
- Build high-quality software through unit, functional, and integration tests.
- Utilize best practices with regards to design, code and release processes for the products and solutions produced on your team.
- Partner with product and other game team engineers to identify solutions and viable implementation plans.
- Collaborate with team members on technical designs and implementations.
- Estimate the size and complexity of work for planning.
- Take an active role in onsite panels to vet other engineers for hiring.
- Working and present knowledge and experience in distributed computing, web-services, microservices architecture, API design, scalable system architecture and operating and supporting production services.
- Implemented automation to support the build/test/release processes.
- Experience collaborating with other disciplines such as Product and QA.
- 5+ years professional experience as a software engineer.
- Knowledge of cloud architecture across Amazon Web Services (strong preference), Microsoft Azure, or Google Cloud Platform.
- Experience with system operations, devops and continuous integration methodologies.
- Background in building services such as matchmaking, match history, parties, clans, or metagame systems for game platforms
- Medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children
- Open paid time off
- Retirement benefits with company matching
- Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability
- Play funds so you can broaden and deepen your knowledge of our players and community through games
- We will double down on your donations of time and money to non-profits
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).