(Closed) Senior Software Engineer - Legends of Runeterra
In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends and over 100 million people now play the game every month. Whether you're in Rio, Seoul, or Moscow, you can find an excited and engaged community of League players. Delivering content to a global audience of millions of players whilst also building new games affords Riot's Engineering discipline with a mountain of exciting and technically complex challenges. That's where you come in.
Riot engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the chance to work in multiple broader domains. As a Staff Software Engineer, you’ll work with our technology, building creative and fresh solutions to overcome high-volume obstacles and to provide positive player value.
As a Senior Engineer on the Legends of Runeterra (LoR) Metagame Systems (MGS) team, you will be responsible for designing and building features in LoR’s Around-The-Game experience. This includes systems such as Onboarding, Progression, Rewards, and Quests. On this team, you'll be:
Player-Focused: You have strong player empathy, and you want to find solutions that make players excited to earn new experiences through gameplay. You want to ensure that when players spend money in our game they feel good before, during, and after their purchase.
A Collaborator: You want to work elbow-to-elbow with members of other disciplines (like Art and Game Design) to build a whole experience. You are excited to see problems from a different point of view, and make hard tradeoffs to meet multiple goals.
A Tool Builder: You’re passionate about empowering Artists and Designers to accomplish their ideas in the game with minimal engineering assistance. You’re happy to listen to them and understand their needs, on the way to building high-quality tools that empower them in their work.
- Collaborate with cross-disciplinary teams (including Game Designers, Artists, Animators, and Producers) to shape player experiences
- Give feedback to designers and artists on the technical tradeoffs of their designs
- Implement features in the Unity engine using C#
- Modify C# microservices to support Unity service calls for new features
- Write unit tests and integration tests to ensure high quality code
- Deliver code to players in a bi-weekly release cadence
- Enable Artists and Designers to develop game content
- Code review the work of other Software Engineers on the team
- 4+ collective years professional experience across the following areas (e.g., 1 years game dev + 1 years Unity dev + 3 years UX = 4 years)
- Game Development
- Unity Development
- UI/UX Systems design and architecture
- Experience building Content Tools and Pipelines
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or comparable field
- Experience working closely with non-engineering collaborators to deliver value
- OO experience in C#, Java, or C++
- Experience with Lean or Agile development processes (Scrum, Kanban, etc)
- Familiarity with unit and integration testing of software
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will look at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).
Don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive many applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you Dare to Dream and Execute with Excellence.