(Closed) Senior Operations Manager - Games User Research
Riot Games was established in 2006 by avid gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. Players form the foundation of our community and it’s for them that we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience, and beyond!
Product Managers at Riot Games help lead the vision of each individual product across the finish line. We assist in building and delivering experiences beyond our audience's expectations. Whatever the calling, we identify and deliver the solution that our audience needs, be it an epic new skin, the Mechs vs. Minions board game, or the internal tools needed by engineers or artists to speed up their craft.
As a Senior Operations Manager on the Central Playtesting Infrastructure team (CPI), you will oversee operational support, staff, facilities, and technology solutions for global games user research at Riot Games. You will understand both the near and long-term playtesting, user research roadmaps, and consequent infrastructure needs of user research, product management, and executive partners across the organization. You will then turn those needs into strategy and priorities for the CPI organization. You’ll determine what organizational, operational, business process, management, technological, facilities, etc. solutions are needed and create solutions against those opportunities. You’ll navigate challenging questions like “should we scale our hiring or automate our processes?”, “which user research technologies should we support in-house vs. outsource?”, and “how do we balance meeting our partners’ needs today with investing in our ability to meet their needs tomorrow?”. You’ll also lead a passionate team with a diversity of skills. Your team will help all products get access to the lab facilities, research technologies, operations support, and, most importantly, the players they need to conduct the audience research to meet their major goals and milestones. In collaboration with user researchers across the company, you and your team will be essential to our ability to conduct the research that helps us put player experience at the heart of everything we do.
- Establish and direct the evolution of the CPI function; lead the team that executes, supports and operates game user research playtesting functions
- Manage individuals on the CPI team in a way that supports both their careers and the team’s performance
- Collaborate with customers and partners, capturing requirements and opportunities and developing a deep understanding of needs and motivations
- Identify opportunities to improve user research operations by improving communication, workflow, facilities, process, tools, documentation, etc. and guide the required changes
- Inform and build the team’s delivery roadmap, identifying essential path issues, removing roadblocks, and driving efficiency of execution
- Create reports and updates that keep partners and customers informed about status, progress, risks, and dependencies
- Oversee all facilities, resources (e.g. playtester database), operational staff, infrastructure budget, and business processes serving user researchers across Riot
- Anticipate and meet the operational needs of a developing user research team working to be at the forefront of games user research
- Evaluate and select platforms, tools, partnerships, vendors, and solutions to meet our company and product needs
- Games user research operations experience a plus!
- 4+ years experience managing and directing teams of growing scope as a general, operations, project, or product manager
- 2+ years of experience leading UX research operations, user researcher operations, or games user research operations teams preferred
- 2+ years people management experience
- Experience directing and guiding a team through a complete lifecycle of several launched organizational projects
- Experience improving team productivity and creating efficiencies through automation, tools development, and business process optimization
- Experience creating processes with other teams - i.e. finance, legal, procurement, security
- Familiarity with the process of a user research study: problem identification, scoping, protocol design, recruiting, proctoring, data capture, analysis, etc.
- Experience managing a budget
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).
Don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive many applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you Dare to Dream and Execute with Excellence.