(Closed) Lead Sound Designer - League of Legends, Gameplay
The Lead Sound Designer role lives within the Audio discipline. Sound design, music, and voiceover at Riot strive to deliver lasting sonic experiences for players. We help breathe life into our games, cinematics, Esports, and more through the use of sound. We are constantly working to improve ourselves and our craft through audio experimentation and by immersing ourselves in the games and media that we love.
Lead Sound Designers are seasoned veterans when it comes to not only the craft of interactive game audio, but also the ability to lead, inspire and mentor others. Your deep industry experience provides you with the tools to collaborate on vision, strategy as well as manage the career growth of a group of sound designers.
As a Lead Sound Designer for Riot’s flagship title, League of Legends, you will work within the Gameplay initiative, collaborating to set the sonic direction of new Champions and game modes. You will work closely with product owners, designers, artists and engineers to deliver exciting and engaging new gameplay experience for players. You will also be responsible for managing the output of 2-5 additional sound designers on the initiative.
Please note, this position does not involve the creation or production of music.
- Collaborate with product leaders, and the audio director to identify and set audio objectives, goals, and timelines for the Gameplay initiative.
- Develop and execute product audio vision and strategy, ensuring the delivery of all content for sound designers on the Gameplay initiative.
- Clearly define and communicate audio goals including how they align with product goals to direct reports, product leadership and others.
- Advocate for the audio discipline ensuring discipline and direct reports have all the necessary resources required to achieve the product goals.
- Ensure your team has the appropriate process and pipeline in place for effective audio content delivery.
- Manage 2-5 sound designers for performance and growth, through the use of "Personal Development Plans", recurring 1:1’s, and performance reviews.
- Run weekly work-in-progress reviews, audio playtests, feedback sessions and more to drive feedback towards achieving the quality bar.
- Record, edit, and design sound effects for Champions, features, systems, and other areas using industry standard methods and tools.
- Use in-house engine tools and Wwise to implement assets, ensuring quality of asset output by playtesting and gathering daily feedback on your content from your team and discipline.
- Minimum 5 years experience developing sound for games.
- Minimum of 2 years experience managing and leading teams.
- Ability to focus and drive a team toward execution and player value delivery.
- Strong people management, mentorship and leadership skills.
- Strong communication & collaboration skills.
- Ability to navigate partner, senior leadership, discipline and team feedback effectively.
- Expertise in the holistic game audio process (Sound Design, Voice Over, Music Implementation, Technology, Player Experience, etc.).
- Knowledge of sound design creation tools (Pro Tools, Nuendo, Reaper, Izotope, Waves, Native Instruments, etc) & techniques.
- Knowledge of voice over processing tools & techniques.
- Knowledge of sound design, voice over & music implementation methods.
- Knowledge of audio middleware (Wwise, Fmod, Miles, etc.).
- Knowledge of programming or scripting languages (Lua, Python, etc.) is a bonus.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).