Head of Finance, Esports
The Finance team at Riot is dedicated to helping Riot's most senior leadership make the best decisions for Players. Our team consists of experts from a variety of finance backgrounds with a shared focus on providing Riot leaders with an understanding of the financial impact of meaningful decisions. We are an essential part of long-term value creation for Riot.
The Head of Finance, esports oversees FP&A, financial planning and forecasting, and stewarding the development of financial capabilities across the esports pillar, a fast-growing division at Riot started in 2009 with ~5x growth in fans over the last 7-8 years. The division spans five games, thousands of professional players, over 100M fans across the globe. As the Esports Pillar's Head of Finance, you will work directly with other members of the division's leadership team, including the Esports President, Esports COO, and Esports HRBP to execute strategy, improve systems and drive best practices around FP&A within the pillar. You will ensure that the pillar has a financial plan that aligns with the strategies of the pillar and Riot, has a detailed budget that enables the development of that plan, and has financial and accounting processes and systems that ensure appropriate financial governance for the pillar and across Riot. In the role, you will help complete the traditional budgeting, forecasting and planning processes, oversee the pillar's P&L, and develop periodic reporting for Riot's CFO and for the Board of Directors. You will report to the CFO and work with the Esports COO and Esports strategic leadership on developing and tracking against pillar goals.
Pillar-level Finance leadership:
- Be the ultimate financial representative of the pillar, setting the long-term financial plan, budget and capabilities, driving the processes that the pillar uses for financial planning and analysis, and engaging across Riot as the pillar's Head of Finance
- Partner with strategic leaders across the pillar, ensuring sound financial and strategic decision making. Represent pillar strategy to the CFO and provide insight into its direction and value.
- Establish a culture of transparency, data cleanliness / accuracy, and fiduciary responsibility with leadership (both within the games pillar and Riot-wide)
- Perform pillar-wide financial reporting, analysis, and forecasting; support with business case development; drive strategic and operational finance activities
- Make decisions on pillar-specific purchasing and accounting, and participate in setting the pillar's financial goals and metrics
- Ensure pillar departments and teams have strong understanding between the BU-level strategy and pillar budget, that they are supported from a financial standpoint, and understand how they fit into the pillar's overall financial strategy
- Improve financial processes and systems; engage consultants and third parties to drive system changes
- Work with the Pillar President, Pillar COO, Pillar HRBP, Pillar Strategy Lead, and other pillar-level leadership to accomplish the strategies of the pillar, serving as the leadership team expert for the pillar's financial forecast, budget, virtual P&L and financial analyses
- Promote and accelerate the pillar's efforts from a finance perspective, navigating the financial realities of the business while driving resource allocation that supports the aspirations of the pillar and the needs of Riot's corporate enterprise systems
- Participate in the strategic planning and forecasting process for the pillar, partnering with the pillar COO and HRBP to ensure that the pillar has effective plans and budgets in place; define financial measures of success, while providing essential input and analysis of new and existing projects
- Support Pillar leadership in managing / reviewing existing milestone plans and developing business cases for new projects (e.g., validation of size of opportunity / strategic fit, vetting of business models / resourcing plans)
- Work with strategic advisory capabilities at the pillar (e.g., research, strategy) to support analyses and inform recommendations to pillar and department leadership
- Work with Riot's CFO, VP Strategic Finance, and other pillar Heads of Finance to guide and facilitate Riot's finance strategy
- Work with other pillar Heads of Finance on shared financial plans, deliverables and rituals (e.g., Riot's strategic planning & forecasting process, Riot-wide P&L, quarterly business reviews, reports for Board of Directors)
- Work with Enterprise Finance to bridge the pillar and corporate finance & accounting functions, simultaneously representing the needs of both and ensuring financial systems and processes are tuned to serve the pillar and Riot-wide goals
- Work with Enterprise teams (e.g., Tax, Treasury, Concur / Expenses) on administrative activities
- Advise the corporate finance team on how its systems and policies serve the pillar-level finance team, and iterate
- BA/BS in Finance, Accounting, Economics, Business Administration or related fields
- 12+ years of professional experience working in finance, leading and developing senior managers, FP&A teams, and non FP&A teams in complex global organizations
- Experience building new competencies and elevating the existing capabilities within an organization
- Experience communicating at an executive level across creative, operations, negotiations, and strategy
- MBA degree
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and choices that focus on your fellow Rioters, who are the customers of your work. Being a dedicated fan of games is not necessary for this position!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.