Director of Story Development
As the Director of Story Development you will be reporting to the VP of IP Management, and serve as a primary creative partner, and advisor. Together, you will inspire and unlock teams across Riot to tell resonant, coherent, and impactful stories that delight fans across the globe.
- Provide oversight and orchestration of all supporting narrative foundational materials shared across Riot.
- Collaborate with creative leaders to identify impactful story arcs for both large and small programs
- Orchestrate cross team collaboration ensuring complementary story development
- Match stories and plot points to mediums best suited to do the telling.
- Communicate new/emerging storylines from Film/TV and Animation to other teams and solicit their involvement and collaboration
- Clearly communicate stories, ongoing narratives, characters, etc. to the wider Riot ecosystem
- Provide feedback to creators to ensure IP cohesion.
- Collaborate with the Director of Visual Development to identify world building opportunities that serve Riot, and oversee production of the assets.
- Partner with various teams across the organization to align on ongoing storylines and strategies.
- 8-15 years (depending on degree)
- 4 years manager experience
- Proven track record in generating narrative IP, and collaborating with other creators – Writers, Artists, Editors, Gameplay, etc.
- Deep understanding of the landscape of Film and TV
- Ability to worldbuild within an existing IP, and support development of new stories and characters.
- Understanding the strengths and weaknesses of each medium; prose, comics (fast/manga/traditional, etc.), film, tv, music, short stories, etc.
- Experience in multi-creator/multi-team products/narratives in a shared IP
- Excellent communication, presentation, and leadership skills.
- Ability build trusting relationships across a large organization
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.