Design Lead, IP & Creative
Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. As the most played video game in the world, over 100 million play every month. Players form the foundation of our community and it’s for them that we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience.
We’re looking for humble but ambitious, razor-sharp professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. Like us, you take play seriously; you’re passionate about games. We embrace those who see things differently, aren’t afraid to experiment, and who have a healthy disregard for constraints.
That's where you come in.
The Design Lead will lead and collaborate with multidisciplinary designers - Graphic Designers, Brand Designers, UI/UX designers, Motion Graphic Designers, production designers and external design studios and agencies to create premier design content for Riot. This person will have a balance of epic craft, creative thinking and well rounded interpersonal skills. Accountable for identifying and communicating a high-quality design style, you will also force multiply a team of designers and coach them to do the same in relation to product goals.
- A True Leader: you know what brilliant looks like and how to successfully lead and coach a diverse team with evolving goals. Whether it's specific brainstorming techniques or 1:1 conversations, unlocking, motivating, and inspiring others is your forte.
- A Creative Powerhouse: either you have a strong personal portfolio demonstrating your deep understanding of branding and tasteful graphic design.
- Knowledgeable: consumer products, digital entertainment, and gaming are your bag. You also have a keen and solid foundation in the licensing and merchandising space
- Managerially Fearless: You are not afraid to say NO to bad quality design product, you should be someone who has strong brand awareness and top craft skills to lead designers in execution of day to day work to meet creative vision and quality benchmark
- A Team-player with team-first attitude: you own team mistakes and work collaboratively to solve them
- A message translator: you can adapt ideas, purposes, concept, from pipeline, into industry-specific creative content or physical merchandise
- Communicative and Collaborative: you can understand the strategic goals of a business or product request and can translate those goals to the design team
- Driven: your vision of both craft and an efficient design pipeline is clear and paved, you refuse to let projects pile up, finishing your work with diligence that inspires the most industrious
- Player-Focused: you understand your impact on the player experience because you’re a
player, too; you listen closely to the community to better understand their needs
- Lead a Design Team together with Creative Leadership to designate and align design targets and build documentation for scalability
- Align with Production Team to execute on staffing, mentoring, and organizing an industry-leading Design Team
- Identify product risks and strategic opportunities, clearly communicating to team and partners
- Align priorities and deliver quality design results within time and budget constraints
- Understand League of Legends products and product goals
- Drive design exploration to a competitive level and work alongside a cross-disciplinary team (art, design, IP, branding, business, marketing, publishing, and production) that establishes a project's success criteria. Whether that is first-class brand, logo, UI/UX, promotional design, poster, presentation, publication, package, videos, and etc.
- Foster team collaboration, visibility, clear goals, and communication
- Be accountable for Design related results and balance of quality and velocity in design production
- Delegate work across a team that is broad both in skill and in leveling
Don’t forget to include a resume, portfolio and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.