(Closed) Concept Artist
Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. As the most played PC game in the world, over 100 million play every month. Players form the foundation of our community and it’s for them that we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience.
We’re looking for humble but ambitious, razor-sharp professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. Like us, you take play seriously; you’re passionate about games. We embrace those who see things differently, aren’t afraid to experiment, and who have a healthy disregard for constraints.
That’s where you come in.
We’re hiring for multiple levels, from associate to lead, so don’t get hung up on the title; we’re all about the team.
As part of the Concept Art team, you’ll be embedded with the champion design team from concept to execution, working with as little as a napkin sketch and as much as a full blown narrative concept to develop memorable and compelling champions. You’ll generate, sketch, and iterate the visual ideas, insights, and eye candy that take even the smallest kernel of a concept into full-fleshed characters that breathe life into games.
- Artistic and prolific: your keen eye for lighting, color, form, and composition inform your work from ideation to creation; you’re a master of the rapid sketch, quickly generating ideas knowing that sometimes it takes a hundred good ones to get to the great one
- An experienced collaborator: your artistic hand reflects years of experience refining your craft, but you’re also a natural and avid collaborator; you coat-check your ego, but are eminently capable of articulating and defending your next great idea
- Multi-dimensional: you’re as experienced and knowledgeable with pad and pencil as you are with Photoshop and similar 2D software; you’re also comfortable trekking beyond Flatland to experiment with Zbrush and other 3D programs
- Genre-bending: You have cat-like reflexes for chasing a great yarn, whether in contemporary comics or ancient mythology; you’ve built a Noah’s Ark of archetypes, ready at a moment’s notice to set sail into brainstormy waters
- Anatomically correct: you have advanced understanding of human and animal anatomy, but aren’t afraid to stretch the limits; exaggerated, stylized proportions feel perfectly balanced in your hands, and superheroes line up outside your studio hoping to be drawn in one of your staggeringly dynamic poses
- A player-focused gamer: gaming is as much a part of your artistic palette as your trusty pen and sketchpad; though your art's awesomeness commands attention, you'd never let it upstage the holistic player experience
- Sketch, ideate, and iterate new champion concepts in collaboration with fellow concept artists
- Collaborate closely with writers, animators, game engineers, and splash artists to define champions that are both narrative and visually cohesive
- Develop detailed concept art and orthographs for 3D designers and animators to implement into working models
- Be an avid researcher and collector of story tropes, archetypes, and narrative devices of all kind
- Challenge video game conventions and explore new territory for the League of Legends IP or our R&D team
Don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter, as well as a link to your portfolio. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.