(Closed) Character Art Intern
In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends and has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. Delivering visually stunning experiences for a global audience while also building new games gives artists exciting and complex problems to solve. Here, artists are working not only with one another, but also side-by-side with game designers, narrative writers, and audio designers and engineers to ensure that each piece of content from Riot reaches the level of quality players deserve. From animations to illustrations, cinematics to comics, characters to environments, we work as a team to put players first.
As a Character Artist at Riot, you will bring champions to life by creating and texturing high and low poly models. You will help craft some of the most iconic characters in the world of gaming. Your sculpting skills, artistic eye and keen understanding of anatomy, form, and color will lead the way in character creation. Working within both technical and design constraints, you will use your knowledge of proportions, anatomy and readability to ensure models are optimized in game. Your craft expertise, high-level execution and attention to detail will enrich the player’s immersive experience.
As a Character Art Intern, you may:
- Create 3d assets ranging from humanoid to creatures
- Understand game requirements to create low poly assets that are optimized for deformation and animation
- Work with various materials/shaders from hand painted diffuse to PBR workflows
- Interpret concept designs while taking into account technical and design constraints such as poly counts, texture memory limits, and topology
- Use your strong sense of human/creature anatomy to push character quality to its fullest potential
- Communicate with various other disciplines to ensure all assets are performant
- Enrolled in a college, university or non degree program
- Returning for at least one more term following the internship
- Available to work full-time hours for 10-12 weeks at the indicated office during the summer
- Authorized to work in the U.S.
- Experience working with modeling, sculpting, and texturing programs such as Maya, Zbrush, Substance, and Photoshop
- Experience working with various game engine middle-ware solutions
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
Riot Internships are paid, and we offer relocation and housing support. You can expect fully subsidized meals and the ability to participate in our Play Fund, so you can broaden and deepen your knowledge of our players and community through games. The University Programs team also invites you to intern focused events so you can connect with your fellow interns and Rioters to make the most out of your experience.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).