(Closed) 3D Character Artist - Unpublished R&D Product
In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends and has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. Delivering visually stunning experiences for a global audience while also building new games gives artists exciting and complex problems to solve. Here, artists are working not only with one another, but also side-by-side with game designers, narrative writers, and audio designers and engineers to ensure that each piece of content from Riot reaches the level of quality players deserve. From animations to illustrations, cinematics to comics, characters to environments, we work as a team to put players first.
As a Character Artist at Riot, you will bring champions to life by creating and texturing high and low poly models. You will help craft some of the most iconic characters in the world of gaming. Your sculpting skills, artistic eye and experience with anatomy, form, and color will lead the way in character creation. Working within both technical and design constraints, you will use your knowledge of proportions, anatomy and readability to ensure models are optimized in game. Your craft expertise, high-level execution and attention to detail will enrich the player’s immersive experience.
As a Character Artist in the R&D Office you will be a founding member of a new game team in the early stages of development, and you'll report directly to the team captain. You’ll be a T-Shaped game developer whose depth of expertise is in character art but are also excited to contribute to all aspects of game production, including rough environment models and boxes.
- Create 3D assets ranging from humanoid to creatures
- Understand game requirements to create low poly assets that are optimized for deformation and animation
- Work with materials/shaders from hand painted diffuse to PBR workflows
- Interpret concept designs while taking into account technical and design constraints such as poly counts, texture memory limits, and topology
- Use your sense of human/creature anatomy to push character quality to its fullest potential
- Work in an always evolving R&D development environment
- Experience or passion working with various stylized art aesthetics
- 3+ years of character modeling experience
- Interest in working on mobile products
- Demonstrated ability to work on stylized character models with personal or professional samples
- Experience working in mobile
- Toon shader experience
- Substantial direct experience in the prototype/early stages of a game
- Experience working with modeling, sculpting, and texturing programs such as Maya, Zbrush, Substance, and Photoshop
- Experience working with game engine middleware solutions
When submitting your application, please provide a portfolio of your high-quality character art - including stylized artwork
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).