Art Director (2D)
Are you looking for a creative turf to set up your brushes and roll out your canvas? Do you dream about happy trees, fluffy clouds, and almighty mountains? Would you like to carry forth your artistic visions in a welcoming environment for 2D graphics?
Master using it, and you can have this.
Retroid wants to maintain the familiar and warm small-studio vibe as we grow cautiously. We want to learn new things and evolve as a studio, and we want our co-workers to level up with us. Working at Retroid, you're part of a safe and confident atmosphere. A positive space where it's encouraged to speak your mind. We love our jobs, and we want to form a strongly bonded team.
What we bring to you:
- A great studio right next to Kaserntorget, at the center of Gothenburg.
- Flexible working hours.
- Occupational pension (Tjänstepension).
- 3 000 SEK health reimbursement/year (Friskvårdsbidrag).
- Multiple insurance plans.
- Possibilities to attain professional development certificates.
- Celebrations and Christmas parties (at the moment online due to Covid-19).
- Opportunities to partake in company trips to game events (post-Covid-19).
- Gaming nights at the office (at the moment on hold due to Covid-19).
Every other week, we also have a Wednesday workshop where we explore new subjects, arrange lectures and meet inspiring people. For example, when Johan Peitz held a talk about the fantasy console Pico-8.
We provide complimentary food and drinks at every workshop (currently on hold due to Covid-19).
Also, we don't crunch!
What you bring to us:
- 6+ years in the gaming industry with at least three shipped titles.
- Expertise in 2D art.
- Mastering of technical art tools and a drive to learn new techniques.
- A passion for video games and a positive attitude.
- Practical understanding of art pipelines.
- Capability to shape ideas and concepts into shippable graphical assets.
- The ability to revise and, if necessary, suggest improvements on work done by others.
- Fundamental art theory including the principles of anatomy, composition, light, and colors.
- Possibility to work onsite at the Gothenburg office (apart from during Covid-19, where Retroid applies all FHM restrictions).
- Rigging and skinning.
- Character animation.
- Experience in working with different game engines.
- Swedish language skills.
- A love for retro games!
- Experience in pixel art and pixel art editors such as Pyxel Edit.
- Establish the artistic style and vision for all visual elements of a game.
- Provide visual direction and artistic leadership throughout the project to maintain visual quality and consistency.
- Present Style Guides and reference material to guide the art team in their work.
- Create or supervise the creation of concepts.
- Schedule and coordinate art tasks.
- Define the art pipeline and work with the Producer to develop milestones for the art team.
- Provide the art team with constructive feedback.
- Supervise and lead the delivery of high-quality, shippable art assets.
- Work closely with the Producer and Project Owner to review the in-game experience.
- Contribute with your experiences and expertise to support your team and fellow artists in their development.
If this sounds interesting, we are eager for you to provide us with your CV plus portfolio or demo reel demonstrating your artistic skills of relevance.
Well met, like the true hero that you are!