Level 3 Environment Designer
Founded in 1998, Retro Studios is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nintendo Company, Ltd. Retro is a state-of-the-art game development studio, working in conjunction with Nintendo to bring award-winning games to Nintendo's cutting-edge next-generation platforms. Retro Studios is located in beautiful Austin, Texas. With rolling hills, scenic waterways, abundant wildlife, vibrant music and film scenes, and a laid-back cosmopolitan culture, Austin is a dynamic city with an excellent quality of life. Austin's sunny weather also supports a great range of outdoor activities, providing plenty of venues for top-notch game developers to recharge and unwind.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
- Collaborate with designers and concept artists to implement proxy environments that accurately communicate intent for visual design, gameplay and narrative.
- Construct environmental assets that are performant, visually indicative of target visual design, and respect standardized player metrics.
- Compose environment scenes that demonstrate strong composition and layout skills.
- Work with team members to overcome creative challenges associated with reconciling perceived conflicts between form and function.
- Partner with narrative designers and artists to identify and leverage opportunities to enhance storytelling through gameplay and visual design.
- Take ownership of environmental assets and scene layout while encouraging collaboration.
*This job description outlines primary duties and requirements and is not intended to identify all tasks that may be performed; individuals occupying the position may be required to perform other duties. The company may modify job duties from time to time, either in practice or in writing.
SUMMARY OF REQUIREMENTS
- A minimum of 7+ years of experience in game development, including 5+ years creating environments for a 3D action-adventure title.
- Willingness to be open and flexible when collaborating with others to achieve creative goals.
- Enthusiastic about receiving regular critique and the opportunity to iterate work according to creative direction.
- A working knowledge of standard industry game engines, toolsets and production pipelines.
- Familiarity with object-based scripting tools.
- Prior knowledge and experience crafting 3D environment assets and scenes demonstrating:
- Good sense of form, volume, structure, and silhouette.
- Strong understanding of composition and balance.
- Understanding of efficient low poly mesh techniques.
- The ability to create assets and to arrange layouts that adhere to gameplay and engineering constraints.
- Ideally, experience with modeling game-ready assets using Maya.
- Examples of prior work must be available upon request.
We are an equal opportunity employer valuing diversity…celebrating strengths.