Founded in 1998, Retro Studios is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nintendo Company, Ltd. Retro is a state-of-the-art game development studio, working in conjunction with Nintendo to bring award-winning games to Nintendo's cutting-edge next-generation platforms. Retro Studios is located in beautiful Austin, Texas. With rolling hills, scenic waterways, abundant wildlife, vibrant music and film scenes, and a laid-back cosmopolitan culture, Austin is a dynamic city with an excellent quality of life. Austin's sunny weather also supports a great range of outdoor activities, providing plenty of venues for top-notch game developers to recharge and unwind.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
- Creates the in-game visuals for landscapes and various organic props for environments.
- Sculpting, modeling and texturing terrain for environments.
- Creates organic assets using Substance, ZBrush, Maya
- Conveys visual storytelling through layout
- Ensures artistic style is consistent with defined visual style for the game
- Takes ownership of environmental assets and scene layout while encouraging collaboration across multiple disciplines to achieve high quality, innovative environment art
- Collaborates with the other Environment Artists as well as members of other disciplines (Concept Art, Design, etc.)
*This job description outlines primary duties and requirements and is not intended to identify all tasks that may be performed; individuals occupying the position may be required to perform other duties. The company may modify job duties from time to time, either in practice or in writing.
SUMMARY OF REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum three years' experience in an Environment Artist role with an emphasis on terrain, layout, and organic prop generation.
- Ideally, has shipped at least one high quality game. Strong portfolio is most important in determining the right candidate.
- Portfolio must demonstrate:
- Competency in terrain composition & layout
- Strengths in creating rocks, cliffs, trees, and foliage.
- Strong sense of realistic proportions.
- Familiarity with current modeling and texture workflows
- Strong visual and spatial storytelling skills
- Knowledge of PBR pipelines.
- Experience with world editors and level construction software
- Experience with World Machine (or similar), ZBrush, Maya and Substance Suite
- Houdini experience a big plus but not a necessity
We are an equal opportunity employer valuing diversity…celebrating strengths.