(Closed) Senior Lighting Artist (Star Wars Jedi Team)
Founded in 2010 by the original creators of the Call of Duty Franchise, Respawn was created with the philosophy that when talented people have creative freedom, they'll make extraordinary games that achieve the unexpected. From our roots as an indie studio to joining the expansive roster of studios at Electronic Arts, this remains our guiding principle. We truly love what we do and want to share our passion with players worldwide. Our shipped titles include critically acclaimed multi-platform games Apex Legends, Titanfall, Titanfall 2, Star Wars™ Jedi: Fallen Order and Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond. Join us for the opportunity to create groundbreaking games with some of the best developer talent in the industry.
Our Star Wars Jedi project team is looking for a highly skilled Senior Lighting Artist who will embrace our philosophy and share his/her hard earned expertise to create an incredible experience for our players. The ideal candidate has experience as a member of a AAA game team from concept to ship, as well as a rich portfolio which showcases their ability to create high quality, dynamic, moody, and well-lit environments and scenes. We're picturing someone who is strong both technically and artistically, and has the ability to mentor more junior artists to create visually stunning lighting of characters and environments.
What you'll do…
- Effectively and efficiently light Levels and Cinematic scenes using Unreal Engine 4.
- Work with Art Directors and Level Artists to establish the lighting and post process effects such as camera exposure, atmosphere, color correction, bloom, etc.
- Work with concept art to establish the lighting and mood of a scene.
- Understand how lighting affects game design and the player experience.
- Develop lighting blueprints to add to the lighting team's toolset.
- Champion the lighting of the player and player path and artistically create a visually interesting scene that fits into the style of the game universe.
- Improve lighting standards and documentation that can be shared and learned by the entire team.
- Mentor and guide junior artists.
- Facilitate requests from Design, Art, Engineering and QA.
Ideally, you will have…
- 5+ years professional game development experience as a Lighting Artist. Record of success creating art for AAA titles preferred. Prior experience on a 3rd person action-adventure title is ideal.
- Shipped game(s) as a Lighting Artist preferred (from concept to ship).
- Deep technical knowledge of Unreal Engine 4 and Blueprints.
- Mastery in lighting fundamentals: how lighting affects mood, gameplay, and frame rate in real-time environments.
- Demonstrable expert level understanding of physically based materials and workflow.
- Demonstrable expert level understanding of physically based lighting and real-world dynamic range.
- Expert level understanding of photography, composition, color correction and post effects.
- Strong understanding of modern lighting techniques including global illumination and ray-tracing.
- Proficiency in software such as Maya, Photoshop, Perforce etc.
- Proficiency in level art generation regarding real-time lighting techniques such as materials, light probes, occlusion, etc.
- Ability to own and light levels from start to finish.
- Passion for making and playing games.
If this opportunity sounds like a great fit for you, please submit your resume and portfolio and we will get back to you once we have reviewed it.
In addition to opportunities for creative impact and professional growth which come with being a member of our team, working at Respawn has many other perks and benefits!
About EA At Electronic Arts, we exist to Inspire the World to Play. We create extraordinary new game experiences for our millions of players everywhere by bringing together talented people that combine creativity, innovation, and passion. We know that our strength lies in the diversity of our people. We immerse our employees into an inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for learning and leading that allow them to do the most impactful and rewarding work of their careers. We put our people first. We provide comprehensive benefit packages with a focus on health and wellbeing to support your needs and help you balance your career and personal life. We provide access to dynamic and collaborative work environments, opportunities to connect and contribute through our Employee Resource Groups, and support for a balanced life with paid time off and new parent leave, plus free video games and so much more! Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.