Senior Combat Designer (Singleplayer Incubation Team)
We are looking for an experienced Senior Combat Designer to help build a brand new Respawn singleplayer adventure. Our ideal candidate is well-versed in the areas of enemy design, AI creation and iteration, combat/weapons, skills/progression and the execution of thrilling combat encounters.
Founded in 2010 by the original creators of the Call of Duty Franchise, Respawn was created with the philosophy that when talented people have creative freedom, they’ll make extraordinary games that achieve the unexpected. This guiding principle is reflected in Respawn’s day-to-day development ethos of trust, autonomy and freedom to experiment in “finding the fun” to make extraordinary and unforgettable experiences for our players. You can learn more about our studio and values at our website.
This new singleplayer title is a designer’s dream playground with a freedom to innovate made possible by the unique universe it inhabits. Our critically acclaimed, multi-platform games have always established a “fun comes first” sensibility in a design process that allows creativity and new ideas to shine.
What You’ll Do…
- Have a direct hand in shaping a new game from the ground up. The project is in its early stages and you will take ownership of substantial ideas and features from blue-sky conceptualization to shipped game with a focus on AI creation, weapons, abilities, player motion model, combat encounters and progression.
- Use your creative, scripting and technical skills extensively to bring new enemies and combat mechanics to life to create thoughtful combat encounters that reward moment-to-moment strategic decision making, creative improvisation and player behaviors that are a joy to execute.
- Be instrumental in defining and iterating on the core loop of the game. Combat extends beyond the discrete “fight” to include how you approach it, initiate it and how you recover, regroup and grow through progression afterwards.
- Collaborate with other designers and departments to share ideas, iterate for greatness, scope wisely, and deliver polished gameplay that will defy expectations.
- Place an emphasis on playable prototypes rather than extensive design documentation.
- At Respawn we cater to individual strengths and we are always looking for raw talent, regardless of specialization or breadth of expertise. Combat Designers with broader interests in overall mission design, cinematics/narrative and other parts of the game are still strongly encouraged to apply.
- No crunch or overtime. We don't glorify this behavior.
Ideally, you will have...
- 3+ years professional experience as a Combat Designer or similar role.
- A passion for AI, weapons and overall combat systems and demonstrable technical and creative expertise.
- Strong communication skills, ability to self-schedule and drive features with support from design leadership.
- Proficiency in text scripting and programming languages. A Computer Science background is a big plus.
- Ability to polish gameplay, enemies, weapons and other systems to AAA quality.
- A strong sense of timing and taste, as well as cinematic flair.
- Experience in rapid prototyping and iterative design.
At Electronic Arts, we exist to Inspire the World to Play. We create extraordinary new game experiences for our millions of players everywhere by bringing together talented people that combine creativity, innovation, and passion. We know that our strength lies in the diversity of our people. We immerse our employees into an inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for learning and leading that allow them to do the most impactful and rewarding work of their careers. We put our people first. We provide comprehensive benefit packages with a focus on health and wellbeing to support your needs and help you balance your career and personal life. We provide access to dynamic and collaborative work environments, opportunities to connect and contribute through our Employee Resource Groups, and support for a balanced life with paid time off and new parent leave, plus free video games and so much more! Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.