Lead Technical Animator (New Game Incubation Team)
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
Founded in 2010 by the original creators of the Call of Duty Franchise, Respawn was created with the philosophy that when talented people have creative freedom, they’ll make extraordinary games that achieve the unexpected. From our roots as an indie studio to joining the expansive roster of studios at Electronic Arts, this remains our guiding principle. We truly love what we do and want to share our passion with players worldwide.
Our shipped titles include critically acclaimed multi-platform games Apex Legends, Titanfall, Titanfall 2, Star Wars™ Jedi: Fallen Order and Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond.
We’re looking for a highly skilled Lead Technical Animator who will embrace our philosophy and share his/her hard-earned expertise to provide support to the Star Wars™ animation and art teams. The Lead Technical Animator will be responsible for overseeing and leading the efforts of the tech animation department to ensure a high-quality bar. As a Lead, this position demands a team-first mentality and a demeanor that inspires and motivates others across the entire project. It is mission critical that this role establishes the quality bar, pipeline, and best practices for the Tech Animation group, and provides frequent constructive feedback on team member’s work through routine check-ins, one-on-ones, and yearly performance evaluations. As an evangelist for the Tech Anim team, this individual is expected to collaborate with Leads and members of other departments, and ensure good communication and solid working relationships are fostered. If this sounds like you, we're looking forward to seeing your resume!
What you’ll do...
- Supervise Tech Animation team and ensure the quality of the department’s work is at a high level.
- Work closely with Animators, Artists, Designers, and Engineers to identify what areas Tech Animation will support the creative process while keeping within the constraints of the operating environment.
- Develop the roadmap and drive the creation of core technical department elements (rigging process, facial setup, etc.), and set goals for the team over the course of production.
- Oversee and contribute to the rigging and skinning of all characters and props found throughout the game.
- Lead the Tech Animation team in MEL/Python/Blueprint scripting to create tools within Maya and Unreal/game engine.
- Ensure team understands vision of the game, work to get team on board and productive in the right direction.
- Establish and maintain best practices, quality bar, pipelines, tools, and processes for their department.
- Motivate and inspire team members in the Tech Anim department, while providing constructive feedback and information regularly.
- Organize and pioneer research and development efforts aimed at improving the animation technology pipeline, tools, and processes.
- Serve as advocate for their department’s goals, needs, and desires. Remove roadblocks, raise red flags, etc.
- Collaborate with leads in other departments to ensure good communication and solid working relationships between departments.
- Develop, motivate, and mentor team members. Create opportunities for challenge and growth.
- Inspire the entire department to constantly raise the quality bar, develop solutions, and work with the Animation and Art Departments to streamline processes.
- Stay abreast with current and future technology focused on game development and the CG industry.
- Play a critical role in the recruiting efforts of the department, including screening, interviewing, final selection, and offer decisions.
- Seek to constantly raise the quality bar, develop solutions, and work with the Animation and Art Departments to streamline processes.
- Collaborate with Leads in other departments, always striving to developing good communication and working relationships.
Ideally, you'll have...
- 7+ years’ game industry experience working on the technical side of Animation and Art in games.
- Experience leading the tech animation efforts of a development team.
- Experience managing others.
- Experience in Maya scripting (MEL/Python.)
- Extensive rigging experience using Maya.
- A keen eye for proper skin deformation.
- Experience working with both key frame animation and motion capture data.
- A proactive, positive attitude.
- Experience on one or more shipped title(s).
About EA At Electronic Arts, we exist to Inspire the World to Play. We create extraordinary new game experiences for our millions of players everywhere by bringing together talented people that combine creativity, innovation, and passion. We know that our strength lies in the diversity of our people. We immerse our employees into an inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for learning and leading that allow them to do the most impactful and rewarding work of their careers. We put our people first. We provide comprehensive benefit packages with a focus on health and wellbeing to support your needs and help you balance your career and personal life. We provide access to dynamic and collaborative work environments, opportunities to connect and contribute through our Employee Resource Groups, and support for a balanced life with paid time off and new parent leave, plus free video games and so much more! Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.