Associate Technical Director
As an Associate Technical Director for the Mobile team on Apex Legends, you will report to the Principal Technical Director of the newly formed Mobile Group. The ideal candidate will demonstrate a mix of strong technical, solid understanding of business models, and experience creating, leading, and running live mobile games.
As an Associate Technical Director (TD) for Apex Legends Mobile, you will be responsible for working with internal EA teams, external vendors, and our external development partner to bring Apex Legends to market on mobile devices.
What skills is Respawn looking for in an Associate Technical Director?
Respawn looks for experience with all game technology systems and pipelines. The ATD must be a great team player, with great technical leadership skills as well as unflagging energy and focus. The ATD must also have excellent oral and written communication skills. They will have a degree in Computer Science (or equivalent) and have a minimum of 8+ years of game programming experience. Most ATDs have been a Lead or mentored a small engineering team. They have strong programming skills, plus solid experience in debugging and integrating complex systems. They also have experience in using automated testing, unit testing, and Configuration Management processes.
- The successful candidate must have excellent relationship building and collaborative skills and be able to act responsibly and diplomatically in any situation while representing Respawn and EA interests
- Work with internal EA partner teams to ensure key EA technology integrated into the game successfully
- Set technical roadmap and milestone deliverables based on EA’s Game Development Framework
- Technical point of contact for EA Central Teams, such as EA Digital Platform (EADP), WWCE (Worldwide Customer Experience) and Publishing; working with them to ensure any technology requirements to support the external partner, are delivered when needed
- Engage on planning for Systems Testing / Load Testing for online systems, and managing Live Service Tools to support operational insights for a smooth live service
Skills and Experience
- Sc. in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent training and professional experience
- At least 6+ years industry experience, having shipped at least one mobile title with live service
- 2+ years of technical leadership experience
- Experience working with / within a large team (>120 people) is a plus
- Knowledge of UE4 a plus
- Ability to speak Mandarin is a plus
- Proficiency with C/C++; experience of scripting languages such as Python, Lua and C#
- Demonstrated knowledge of good software engineering practices
- Strong domain experience in Online (client-server, cloud scaling, etc.) and knowledge/experience in all other areas of game development, i.e. AI, Cameras, Controls, Rendering, Audio, etc.
- Understanding of memory management, multiple processor use, and runtime optimization
- Constantly innovating on how to improve product quality as well as group productivity
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Analytical and proactive problem-solving skills
- Excellent proactive decision-making capabilities
- Ability to quickly learn and apply new concepts, principles, and solutions
- Collaborative problem solving between multiple teams
If this position sounds like a fit for you, we look forward to seeing your resume!