Lead Technical Artist
Do you want to spend your days solving complex problems on our amazing engine with our talented team of artists and programmers? Are you ready to step up and lead a team of talented 3D Artists? Then we have the role for you.
As a Lead Technical Artist you’ll be directing and delivering creative solutions to support the wider art team. Working with the art, code and wider tech teams you’ll be planning and creating technical art features to be used in our wide range of projects across our studios. You’ll be leading a team of talented 3D Artists to solve problems, make processes more efficient, and make our games the very best they can be. This is a hands-on role that has a real tangible impact on our games and how we develop them. We are actively recruiting for a diverse team and continue to develop a culture of growth and inclusion. Rebellion encourages innovation in all areas and we look forward to hearing how you can help us to be better. We would like to invite all demographics of culture, gender, ethnicity, neuro-diversity and beyond because we believe a representative team makes better games and provides a better working life.
“Rebellion is a leading developer and publisher of games, and is also one of Europe’s biggest independent interactive studios, operating across books, comics, TV and film. Our Sniper Elite series is renowned for its authentic stealth and sniping gameplay with more than 20 million players worldwide. The Zombie Army franchise is spine-chilling zombie shooter, and the soon-to-be released Evil Genius 2 is a satirical spy-fi lair builder where YOU are the criminal mastermind! And those are just the projects you know about – there are loads more!”
- Effectively lead and manage a team of 3D artist.
- Collaborate with multiple teams and stakeholders across the business including the Head of Art, Designers, Programmers and Producers to balance the creative vision of our projects with production realities.
- Develop high-quality 3D art pipeline tools and extensions with an eye towards usability and efficiency.
- Provide hands-on support for Artist and Programmers in regard to asset performance and validation.
- Review creative processes and identify opportunities for tool improvements.
- With support, solve challenging technical issues in the 3D asset pipeline.
- Work with PBR pipeline and advance game engine tools.
- Verify the quality of the 3D art pipeline tools and extensions, and make improvements where necessary to fit technical constraints and artistic direction.
- Be an active mentor and role model for the art team. Work to maintain morale and create an atmosphere of creativity and enthusiasm for the work
Expert knowledge and understanding of:
- C++, Python, and Houdini
- 3D software such as 3D Studio Max or Maya
- 3D sculpting packages such as Zbrush or Mudbox
- Modelling processes, hi-res sculpting, baking textures and material shaders setup in realtime render engine
- Photoshop or other 2D packages
- Games engines and the video game development process
- Production pipelines and data management software
- Best practice people management
You should also:
- Easily be able to adapt to new processes or pipelines
- Effectively be able to communicate ideas and thoughts about the project to colleagues both verbally and in writing. And be able to exert influence and motivate team members.
- Have the ability to work on unusually complex problems and provide solutions which are highly creative.
- Private Medical Insurance: Through Vitality, with the option of including your family. Includes freebies and active rewards as well as comprehensive cover to access private medical treatment.
- Healthcare Cash Plan: Cashback on treatment costs from flu jabs to chiropractors. Includes Dental and Vision.
- Income Protection Plan: Financial help if you are unable to work because of illness or injury
- Critical Illness Cover: Financial help if you are diagnosed with a critical illness.
- Life Assurance: Financial security for our loved ones at a difficult time.
- Interest & tax-free loans
- Flexible work hours
- Pension Contribution: Tax efficient salary sacrifice contributory pension scheme where Rebellion matches 4%, plus 10% of any extra contributions you make.
- Digital Freebies: All Rebellion Steam (and Epic Store) titles, digital copies of 2000 AD and Rebellion Publishing comics, graphic novels and ebooks, physical game and film libraries
- Relocation Assistance
- Cycle Scheme
- 2000AD Discounts
- Great Friendly Culture: Friendly, creative and relaxed working atmosphere, with sensibly managed projects and recognition of the importance of work-life balance
- Anti-Crunch Culture
- Social & Charity Events: Annual Summer BBQ & Christmas Party, social groups such as photography and board games, charity events including football, go-karting and supporting Special Effect
- 26 Holidays: Increasing with service up to 31, plus bank holidays.