Are you a Lead Games Designer looking to make your mark on a brand new unannounced game?
We want you to #JOINTHEREBELLION!
For 30 years we’ve been creating incredible video games at our multiple studios, but Rebellion is more than just games. We have our own film and mo-cap studio, we create board games, publish books, and through 2000AD, publish comics and graphic novels such as the amazing Judge Dredd.
We operate across multiple UK locations, with studios based in Oxford, Warwick, Liverpool, and Wakefield. Work-life balance is important to us, and we want everyone at Rebellion to work in the way that works best for them. so as long as you are based in the UK, we are always open to discussing how we can support remote and/or Hybrid working options.
We are on the lookout for a Lead Designer to join our passionate and talented team, working on an unannounced IP.
The Rebellion Design team designs, creates, and maintains games from concept to shippable quality. Working closely with the other specialist teams to implement fun and immersive gameplay utilising the game mechanics.
As a Lead Designer, you will lead a team of designers on a brand-new project from pre-production to shipping, overseeing the development of the game design and delivering a high-quality gameplay experience. You’ll collaborate with the Head of Design, Designers, Producers, and Programmers to balance creative vision with production realities.
You will verify the quality of design in the game and use your expert knowledge and experience to make improvements where necessary that align with technical constraints and artistic direction. You’ll offer feedback and suggestions following gameplay evaluations that fine tune and improve the game; supporting Rebellion to become a progressive and industry-leading developer.
In order to be successful, you will have expert knowledge of the video game development process, up-to-date knowledge of the video game market, and skills to design games suitable for the target audience and the future of the market. A solid ability to mentor and focus individuals and teams to achieve a specific outcome is essential, as well as demonstrated solution management and people management skills.
- Lead a team of Designers with best practice people management techniques, proactively manage your team’s performance and professional development through performance review cycles giving constructive, actionable, relevant feedback.
- Collaborate with Head of Creative, Designers, Programmers, and Producers to balance creative vision with production realities
- Oversee the development of the game’s design considering technical and artistic requirements, understand and iterate the brief over the lifetime of the project, and from that set style guides and consistent gameplay languages across the game
- Verify the quality of design in the game, and make improvements where necessary to fit technical constraints and artistic direction
- Conduct gameplay evaluations with the Lead Level Designer and Producer with the team providing feedback and suggestions to help fine tune and improve the game
- Be an active mentor and role model for the Design team. Work to maintain morale and create an atmosphere of creativity and enthusiasm
- Expert knowledge of creating game design documents and prototype specifications
- Expert knowledge of the video game development process, including working in a timely / time-bound manner, and prototyping/iterating appropriately within that restriction
- Expert knowledge of production pipelines
- Proactively ensure the game design serves the audience of the game, is appropriate to the state of the market, and uses the most appropriate business model given the resources available
- Able to focus on individuals and teams to achieve a specific outcome to drive performance
- Able to apply an understanding of the games industry to improve the effectiveness of teams and projects
- Able to develop resolutions to unusually challenging problems and mentor individuals and teams to solve problems creatively
We offer an extensive benefits package to our team including:
- 26 days holiday + Bank holidays (increasing with service at 5 years – one day each year until you reach 31 days)
- Private Medical Insurance, healthcare cash plan, including dental and Vision
- Life Assurance, Income Protection & Critical Illness Cover
- Enhanced Family Leave
- Interest Free, Tax-Free loans
- Enhanced Pension Scheme
- EAP a range of Mental Health and Wellbeing Support
- Plus loads more… including a wide range of discounts, freebies, and social events!
Whichever team you join at Rebellion we are proud of our open, friendly, and creative atmosphere. We love what we do and we have fun doing it! As a big indie developer, we have complete creative freedom over our titles which allows us to work on a massive variety of projects across all the major platforms.
Our size, stability, and the variety of in-house expertise across multiple industries make Rebellion completely unique! We work in our own way, and we celebrate that as the key to our success. We foster an inclusive culture where you are encouraged to be yourself, to express your creativity and your talent. We are people-focused and will support you in every way to can to be the best at what you do. We recognise the importance of enjoying what you do and having a healthy work-life balance. We offer a friendly, creative, and relaxed working atmosphere, with sensibly managed projects and a wide variety of benefits and development opportunities for all our teams to ensure you are fully supported with your physical and Mental Well-being.
We are actively recruiting for a diverse team and continue to add to our culture of growth and inclusion. Rebellion encourages innovation in all areas, and we look forward to hearing how you can help us to be better. We encourage all demographics of culture, gender, ethnicity, neuro-diversity, and beyond because a representative team makes better products.
If you are interested in working at Rebellion, but this role doesn’t sound quite like you, we’re recruiting for a range of positions across the studio and we’re always happy to receive speculative applications via our website.