Experienced Programmer - Onsite
Two simple questions:
- Do you have 2 or more years as a programmer or one published title to your name?
- Do you have the ambition, drive, and enthusiasm to develop AAA games for an unannounced world class IP?
If you have answered ‘yes’ to both of these questions, read on my friend!
Rebellion is a leading developer and publisher of games, and is also one of Europe’s biggest independent studios operating across books, comics, TV and film. Our Sniper Elite series is renowned for its authentic stealth and sniping gameplay with more than 35 million players worldwide. The Zombie Army franchise is a spine-chilling zombie shooter, and the recently released Evil Genius 2 is a satirical spy-fi lair builder where YOU are the criminal mastermind!
And those are just the projects you know about – there are loads more!
We are looking for someone like you to become our all-new Experienced Programmer and join our passionate and talented Rebellion North team, where we are building on the years of success that Rebellion has enjoyed.
Experienced Programmer role:
The ExperiencedProgrammer is a new role dedicated to work on Rebellion games and with trusted industry partners on genre-defining IP. We are looking for someone who lives and breathes code, who is a creative thinker and enjoys the challenge of providing solid solutions to complex problems. This role involves working across many areas of game development, helping to design, schedule and deliver code with cutting edge technology on all the latest platforms.
As an Experienced Programmer you will be self-motivated with a high level of initiative and able to work unsupervised. The ideal candidate will be able to quickly adapt to and support in-house working practices and assist in mentoring Junior Programmers, as well as the usual responsibilities of an experienced Programmer.
The Rebellion North team delivers code for multiple high-end projects with a focus on optimising code and delivery outcomes.
- Develop and implement cutting-edge, intuitive solutions for next-gen gameplay, debugging, maintaining and extending your own and existing code
- Write robust and maintainable code, optimising code for performance per platform
- Meet game design and technical requirements as well as internal coding standards, communicating with designers, artists and other coders to ensure we satisfy game requirements and quality
- Identify and solve development obstacles or risks that arise, suggesting improvements and implementing solutions to improve performance and reliability
- Write and maintain technical documentation
- Research new tools, techniques and processes and feedback to the team on how they can benefit Rebellion
- Collaborate productively within a large multi-disciplined project team environment, communicating ideas and issues clearly, and supporting all coders on your team as required
- Be responsive to deadlines and work well under pressure, meeting multiple production objectives and deadlines
We are actively recruiting for a diverse team and continue to develop a culture of growth and inclusion. Rebellion encourages innovation in all areas and we look forward to hearing how you can help us to be better. We would like to invite all demographics of culture, gender, ethnicity, neurodiversity and beyond because we believe a representative team makes better games and provides a better working life.
- Previous experience in a similar role
- Excellent C/C++ skills at a professional level
- Ability to quickly familiarise yourself to work with a large existing codebase
- Ability to prototype as well as producing final code
- Strong debugging, profiling and optimising, system design and 3D math skills
- Good spoken and written communication skills, as well as team working with game developers from all disciplines across the projects
- Excellent initiative, self-motivation, organisational and problem-solving skills, with the ability to accept and follow direction
- Any knowledge of console, general games and/or multiplayer development, and/or development tools such as Visual Studio and Perforce/other version control systems would be an advantage
- Unreal experience would be preferable but not essential
- A genuine interest in playing games
- Holiday: 26 holiday days annually, increasing with service to 31 days, plus national public holidays
- Private Medical Insurance: Our PMI scheme offers comprehensive cover to access private medical treatment, taking the stress and strain out of waiting for treatments via the NHS
- Pension Contribution: Tax efficient salary sacrifice contributory pension scheme where Rebellion matches 4% of salary, plus 10% of any contribution you make
- Healthcare Cash Plan: Cash-back on treatment costs, from flu jabs to chiropractors
- Dental & Vision: Cash-back on routine or emergency costs, free eye tests
- Income Protection: Financial help if unable to work due to illness or injury
- Critical Illness: Financial help if diagnosed with critical illness
- Life Assurance: Financial security for your loved ones at a difficult time
- EAP: Wellbeing hub, including confidential telephone support and counselling
- Active Rewards: Earn discounts and other perks for physical activity, from trainers to cinema tickets
- Gym Membership: Discounts to over 3,000 participating UK gyms, pools & fitness events
- Loans: Interest free, tax-free loans
- Relocation: Assistance with relocation planning and costs
- Cycling Cycle Scheme: Save around 30% of the cost of a new bike and equipment though salary sacrifice tax & NI savings, spread repayments over 12 months
- Discounts: 50% off most 2000 AD merchandise, plus Active Rewards and more through health schemes, from high street retail to holidays
- Referral Bonus: Up to £2k bonus for internal staff referrals that lead to hires
- Flexible Hours: Flexible start and finish times
- Great Friendly Culture: Friendly, creative and relaxed working atmosphere, with sensibly managed projects and recognition of the importance of work-life balance (anti-crunch)
- Social & Charity Events: Annual Summer BBQ & Christmas Party, social groups such as photography and board games, charity events including football, go-karting and supporting Special Effect
- Digital Freebies: GDC Vault access, all Rebellion Steam titles, digital copies of 2000 AD and Rebellion Publishing comics, graphic novels and ebooks, physical game and film libraries