Two simple questions:
- Do you want to create awesome realistic characters?
- Do you want to work with a talented art team and to produce characters on one of our biggest games?
If you have answered ‘yes’ to both of these questions, read on my friend!
Rebellion is a leading developer and publisher of games, and is also one of Europe’s biggest independent studios operating across books, comics, TV and film. Our Sniper Elite series is renowned for its authentic stealth and sniping gameplay with more than 35 million players worldwide. The Zombie Army franchise is a spine-chilling zombie shooter, and the soon-to-be released Evil Genius 2 is a satirical spy-fi lair builder where YOU are the criminal mastermind!
And those are just the projects you know about – there are loads more!
We are looking for someone like you to become our all-new Character Artist and join our passionate and talented Character Art team, where we are building on the years of success that Rebellion has enjoyed.
Character Art role:
The Character Artist is a new role dedicated to helping create high quality character models in their entirety whilst respecting as closely as possible to the concept art. You will create additional character assets and other props for the game. As part of the character art team, you will play a key role in ensuring the artistic quality of the game.
This role would suit someone who has knowledge of 3D software such as Max, Maya or Blender, and is also able to translate concept and reference artwork into high quality character models.
The Rebellion character art team are dedicated to bringing our games characters to life with high quality character assets.
- With guidance, produce character models in their entirety respecting as closely as possible the concept art
- Use photogrammetry to scan real clothes and accessories as a basis for Zbrush models and textures
- Work closely with our Outsource partners, providing guidance and feedback on externally created characters
- Read game design documentation to become familiar with character list and understand their actions and psychological aspects in order to create credible characters for the story
- Create additional character assets such as hair, accessories, armour, weapons, etc
- Create Props and hard-surface elements for the purposes of the project
- Provide primary models to programmers so they can integrate them into the engine and test first gameplay intentions.
- Touch-up textures after engine integration to optimize quality
- Deliver clean and optimised low polygon models, and efficient UV layouts according to the project’s technical requirements
We are actively recruiting for a diverse team and continue to develop a culture of growth and inclusion. Rebellion encourages innovation in all areas and we look forward to hearing how you can help us to be better. We would like to invite all demographics of culture, gender, ethnicity, neuro-diversity and beyond because we believe a representative team makes better games and provides a better working life.
- Basic knowledge of 3d software such as 3D Studio Max, Maya and Blender
- Basic knowledge of 3D sculpting packages such as Zbrush or Mudbox
- Basic knowledge of Photoshop or Substance Painter
- Basic understanding of anatomy and proportions
- Basic knowledge of PBR material pipeline/substance
- Able to translate concept and reference artwork into high quality character models
- Able to effectively communicate information, whilst building long-term, trusting relationships with a wide range of people
- Holiday: 26 holiday days annually, increasing with service to 31 days, plus national public holidays
- Private Medical Insurance: Our PMI scheme offers comprehensive cover to access private medical treatment, taking the stress and strain out of waiting for treatments via the NHS
- Pension Contribution: Tax efficient salary sacrifice contributory pension scheme where Rebellion matches 4% of salary, plus 10% of any contribution you make
- Healthcare Cash Plan: Cash-back on treatment costs, from flu jabs to chiropractors
- Dental & Vision: Cash-back on routine or emergency costs, free eye tests
- Income Protection: Financial help if unable to work due to illness or injury
- Critical Illness: Financial help if diagnosed with critical illness
- Life Assurance: Financial security for your loved ones at a difficult time
- EAP: Wellbeing hub, including confidential telephone support and counselling
- Active Rewards: Earn discounts and other perks for physical activity, from trainers to cinema tickets
- Gym Membership: Discounts to over 3,000 participating UK gyms, pools & fitness events
- Loans: Interest free, tax-free loans
- Relocation: Assistance with relocation planning and costs
- Cycling Cycle Scheme: Save around 30% of the cost of a new bike and equipment though salary sacrifice tax & NI savings, spread repayments over 12 months
- Discounts: 50% off most 2000 AD merchandise, plus Active Rewards and more through health schemes, from high street retail to holidays
- Referral Bonus: Up to £2k bonus for internal staff referrals that lead to hires
- Flexible Hours: Flexible start and finish times
- Great Friendly Culture: Friendly, creative and relaxed working atmosphere, with sensibly managed projects and recognition of the importance of work-life balance (anti-crunch)
- Social & Charity Events: Annual Summer BBQ & Christmas Party, social groups such as photography and board games, charity events including football, go-karting and supporting Special Effect
- Digital Freebies: GDC Vault access, all Rebellion Steam titles, digital copies of 2000 AD and Rebellion Publishing comics, graphic novels and ebooks, physical game and film libraries