Lead Destruction Artist
Here at Raven, we pride ourselves on our unique vision for the industry that continues to inspire us after more than 30 years. We developed a team that cares about one another, our games, and our players. We treat each other with respect. We bring no egos. We focus on what is best for the game. We hire stunning peers. We own our mistakes. As we enter the next exciting chapter of our story, we are looking for people to grow with us. If you want to work with a world-class team, on exciting new projects, then apply today! We look forward to hearing from you.
Your mission is to inspire, mentor, and lead a team of specialized artists in developing destructible content and moments of epic devastation for the blockbuster Call of Duty franchise. You will be a trusted gatekeeper for all things destructible. You will provide your team with guidance, goals, opportunities, and resources. Our Lead Artists are role-models that not only manage their teams through challenge and change, but also build up individuals into highly engaged, efficient, and effective teammates. Above all, we are looking for an innovative and dedicated teammate to help tell our story.
- Inspire, align, and drive your team of artists in the development and delivery of epic AAA quality destruction sequences for real-time dynamic and bake simulation destruction events.
- Collaborate with Artists, Designers, and Engineers to improve and expand upon destruction pipelines and tool sets.
- Be a proactive self-starter that can independently execute high-level direction.
- Work in Radiant to implement, evaluate, and polish destructible assets to meet expectations.
- Be a trusted gatekeeper for performance, efficiency, and quality.
- Define team goals, action plans, and schedules for the project.
- Provide your team with consistent guidance, goals, opportunities, and resources.
- Lead, task, mentor and conduct one-to-one meetings with your Destruction Artists.
- Empower artists to thrive on open and welcome constructive criticism.
- Champion best practices and advocate towards streamlining tools and processes.
- Interface with other teams to ensure destruction requirements and plans are understood.
- Contribute creative and original ideas towards all aspects of game production and development.
- 8+ total years in the games industry working in an art capacity, with at least 3 shipped title in the AAA console / PC space.
- 2+ years and at least 1 shipped title as a Lead Destruction Artist.
- Ability to lead by example echoed through a professional and egoless personality.
- Strong understanding of creating art assets in multiple major 3D and 2D packages (3DS Max or Maya, ZBrush, Substance Suite, Marvelous Designer and Photoshop) for console hardware (Xbox, PS, PC).
- Fundamental knowledge of preparing assets for key-frame animation, including rigging, skinning, and asset management.
- Possesses in-depth understanding of game engines, pipelines, and processes.
- Rock-solid communication and problem-solving skills.
- Proven ability to thrive in a challenging and often ambiguous environment.
- Inspiring reel and portfolio demonstrating focus and commitment to realistic destruction behaviors and breakable assets using current gen 2D/3D asset creation tool pipelines.
- Familiarity with basic knowledge of real-time physics and VFX systems.
- Experience with Houdini.
- Experience and comfort with one or more scripting / programming languages.
- Passion for the Call of Duty franchise.
- Strong traditional art foundation.
- History of playing a variety of game genres both digital and physical.
Founded in 1990, Raven Software is the developer of numerous award-winning games including Hexen, Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance and most recently, a major contributor to the blockbuster Call of Duty® franchise. We are based in Middleton, Wisconsin, a suburb of Madison, annually ranked on numerous lists as one of the top places to live and work.
We each bring a unique set of experiences from dozens of cultural backgrounds. Our shared values unify our direction and decisions, helping us touch the lives of more than a billion people each day.
Activision Blizzard, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATVI), is one of the world's largest and most successful interactive entertainment companies and is at the intersection of media, technology and entertainment. We are home to some of the most beloved entertainment franchises including Call of Duty®, World of Warcraft®, Overwatch®, Diablo®, Candy Crush™ and Bubble Witch™. Our combined entertainment network delights hundreds of millions of monthly active users in 196 countries, making us the largest gaming network on the planet!
Our ability to build immersive and innovate worlds is only enhanced by diverse teams working in an inclusive environment. We aspire to have a culture where everyone can thrive in order to connect and engage the world through epic entertainment. We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for ‘Every World’ - we’ve got our employees covered!
The videogame industry and therefore our business is fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners.
Raven Software is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.