Audio Programmer - Xbox Studios
Rare is a one-of-a-kind game studio where we create the kind of games the world doesn't have, games that are uniquely Rare! Working here offers opportunities unlike anywhere else. You'll be providing players with unforgettable shared experiences in games loved by millions worldwide. Our pirate adventure Sea of Thieves, launched in 2018, continues to thrive – and alongside that we're busy creating our next magical world, Everwild, announced in 2019 to a global audience.
We strive to make Rare an amazing place to work, embracing a culture of respect and building a supportive environment for our developers. Our custom-built Twycross studio is situated in the beautiful English countryside, surrounded by woodland and wildlife, with plenty of room for us to grow. Studio benefits are catered to making life easier for staff, including flexible working, a bonus scheme, an industry-leading pension package, private healthcare, mental health initiatives and free events for employees and their families.
By joining Rare, you'll be joining one of the finest studios in the industry with support from the wider Xbox Game Studios network. We're always on the lookout for exceptional people who can bring their expertise and unique thinking to help make our team even stronger!
We are looking for an Audio Programmer to be the voice of technical audio expertise in the Engine team at Rare. The Game teams and Audio Designers will look to you for support, drawing upon your deep technical knowledge to produce the most lush, detailed soundscapes all within defined memory/CPU budgets. You will regularly be involved at the design stages of game features, helping to shape the creative vision around any technical constraints or potential opportunities for innovation.
While Engine team members often specialise in specific fields, we all share in the responsibility of providing advice and support across all game and platform systems within Rare. The cornerstones of our team’s culture are building on the foundations laid by others and enabling everyone to do their best work. This means each day provides us with an opportunity to experiment and learn; to reflect on where we could improve ourselves and our systems.
If you're looking to grow, you'll have access to the range of challenges you need to truly broaden your experience. You will also be a part of the wider audio community at Microsoft, learning from and sharing ideas with our extended family of studios. Most of all, you'll be part of a team of friendly, highly talented developers who like nothing better than sharing their own challenges and expertise with you.
- Support the Audio Design team in creating rich and compelling soundscapes for our games.
- Maintain the studio’s audio technology, identifying areas for improvement and drive the technology forward where appropriate.
- Engage with our quality-focused development process.
- Identify and skill up in areas of games programming that interest you.
- Devote time to personal improvement to grow your skills, develop specialisms and embody engineering excellence.
- A commitment to upholding an inclusive mindset and engaging meaningfully with our values of diversity and inclusion.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Strong knowledge of C++.
- A passion for audio either from a creative or mathematical side (or both!).
- Robust problem-solving skills.
- Curiosity, proactivity, a desire to absorb new ideas and understand how things work.
- Ability to communicate effectively and positively.
- Commitment to embracing diverse perspectives, overcoming personal bias and aspiring to be an ally to all.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in Computer Science or relevant field.
- Familiarity with automated testing methodologies.
- Experience with Wwise audio middleware.
- Experience with commercial game engines, especially UE4.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Benefits and Perks
- Industry leading healthcare
- Savings and investments
- Giving programs
- Educational resources
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Opportunities to network and connect
- Discounts on products and services
- Generous time away