(Closed) Head Esports Coach, Intercollegiate Athletics
Part of the internationally respected Purdue University system, Purdue University Northwest offers world-class educational opportunities at an excellent value on two culturally diverse, student centered campuses, located in Northwest Indiana and in close proximity to Chicago. Purdue Northwest has approximately 10,000 students and offers more than 70 degree programs at the baccalaureate, masters and doctoral levels. Purdue Northwest Athletics consists of 250 student athletes and 15 sports and is a member of the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference and NCAA Division II. Esports, the newest varsity sport at PNW, was just recently launched in February 2020 and will begin competition in Fall 2020. Intercollegiate athletic teams are fielded in men’s and women basketball, men’s and women’s soccer, men’s and women’s cross country, men’s and women’s tennis, women’s volleyball, men’s and women’s golf, softball and baseball. Men’s Ice Hockey is offered as a club sport. Purdue Northwest has recently developed new basketball, volleyball, soccer, softball, baseball, tennis, and ice hockey facilities. Esports arenas will be developed on both PNW campuses in Hammond and Westville. The arenas will each feature 30 gaming stations using state-of-the-art equipment. For more information on the Purdue University Northwest athletics program please go to PNWathletics.com
- Instruct, teach and coach the Esports team during practice and game competition. Direct daily practice, player skill development and strategy sessions. Conduct video analysis and instruction as a teaching and preparation tool. Construct competition and events schedule for the Esports program with approval by the Director of Athletics.
- Identify, evaluate, and recruit prospective student-athletes. Manage program budget and effectively use fiscal resources for team travel, recruiting, scholarships and equipment. Assist with academic progress and monitoring of student-athletes. Work with Assistant AD for Student Success to ensure student-athletes participate in academic advising and assistance programs.
- Responsible for the general oversight of the Esports facilities on the Hammond and Westville campuses. This position will be responsible for maintaining and monitoring all Esports equipment and facilities. Ensure that facility is kept clean and that the facility is secure.
- Assist the Director of Athletics with public relations and fundraising activities. Serve as the primary spokesperson for the program in the community and promote and build the program. Expand the visibility of the program including speaking at promotional events, working with Admissions Office on campus visits of potential student-athletes and working with Athletics / University Marketing and Communications Office to promote Esports.
- Foster a team environment consistent with PNW Athletics core values which are respect, integrity, sportsmanship, service, and excellence. The position will supervise one full-time assistant coach. The head coach may also oversee part-time or volunteer coaches and provide annual evaluations of the Esports staff.
- Direct summer camps and coaching clinics. Lead student-athletes in annual community service and engagement activities.
- Represents PNW at conference and national Esports meetings. Knowledge of rules and regulations set forth by the NCAA and conference should be maintained, reviewed & practiced to ensure compliance relative to those applicable duties.
- This position may require other assignments as assigned by the Director of Athletics. These could include game management & working with staff at special events.
Must have strong team building/management skills; ability to work across academic and administrative departments in a cooperative manner; strong written and verbal communication skills; ability to coordinate collaborative efforts; demonstrated experience in program development, management, and leadership; ability to interact with members of the public and media; ability to supervise regular and temporary staff; understanding of the student-athletes’ commitment to academics; ability to lift and carry up to 10 lbs. frequently, and up to 20 lbs. occasionally. Strong technology skills are required. This includes familiarity with software and hardware equipment associated with Esports and the ability to stay up to date on cutting edge trends in Esports. As a part of the job responsibilities associated with this position, knowledge of rules and regulations set forth by the NCAA and conference should be maintained, reviewed and practiced to ensure compliance relative to those applicable duties.
One year of Esports coaching/playing experience is required. Previous Esports coaching in higher education or similar program development is preferred.