(Closed) Online Services Software Engineer
Psyonix is a video game developer located in downtown San Diego. Best known for Rocket League, the award-winning game that combines soccer, driving, and highly competitive and addictive game play, we are an industry-leading game studio rooted in a crunch-free philosophy that emphasizes a healthy work-life balance.
We are looking for qualified, self-motivated Software Engineers to help build and maintain PsyNet - the online backend that powers Rocket League. Ideal candidates should have significant professional experience designing, programming, and maintaining backend software systems using modern technologies and best practices.
As a member of the Online Services team at Psyonix, you will contribute in one or more of the following ways:
- Game Features - Whether for Rocket League or other projects, you will build and maintain the backend API that powers core gameplay features, including player rank/progression systems, in-game item drop systems, monetization systems, matchmaking, authentication, and many more. You’ll collaborate extensively with other teams, including Game Design, Game Client / UI Engineers, QA and others, in order to deliver the best possible experience to our players.
- Admin Tools - You will build, maintain, and deploy an essential suite of administrative tools that empower various in-house departments and key external partners to directly and securely interact with PsyNet to control game features and analyze player activity. Your deep understanding of both game features as well as studio processes will be instrumental in delivering solutions that simultaneously improve user experience and increase studio efficiency.
- DevOps - You will own the delivery, scalability, and reliability of our backend platform serving hundreds of thousands of concurrent world-wide users. You will leverage modern DevOps, SRE, & CI/CD practices to engineer systems and processes that automate/minimize operational toil and drive proactive infrastructure improvements to optimize our operational efficiency.
- 4+ years of professional software engineering/coding experience relevant to at least one of the areas described above
- Experience designing, developing, testing, & maintaining web services/microservices and APIs
- Proven ability to write and maintain effective technical design documentation
- Proficiency in verbally communicating complex technical concepts
- Experience architecting online systems
- Experience with SQL databases
- SRE experience developing and operating web services at scale
IMPORTANT NOTE: Evening, overnight, weekend, holiday and on-call work may be required. You must be available to participate in on-call escalation rotations if needed.
- Proficiency with C#, PHP or Go
- MySQL experience
- Cloud experience
- Docker experience
- Kubernetes experience