(Closed) Online Services Engineer
Psyonix is a video game developer best known for Rocket League, the award-winning game that combines soccer, driving, and highly competitive and addictive gameplay. As part of the Epic Games family, we are an industry-leading game studio rooted in a crunch-free philosophy that emphasizes an amazing employee experience, located in the heart of San Diego. For nearly 20 years, we have been a driving force behind some of the most successful games in the industry, including Gears of War, Mass Effect 3, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Bulletstorm, Unreal Tournament III and Unreal Tournament 2004.
What you’ll do
We are looking for qualified, self-motivated Software Engineers to help build and maintain PsyNet - the online backend that powers Rocket League (as well as other top secret projects). Ideal candidates should have significant professional experience designing, programming, and maintaining backend software systems using modern technologies and best practices.
In this role, you will
- Game Features - Whether for Rocket League or other projects, you will build and maintain the backend API that powers core gameplay features, including player rank/progression systems, in-game item drop systems, monetization systems, matchmaking, authentication, and many more. You’ll collaborate extensively with other teams, including Game Design, Game Client / UI Engineers, QA and others, in order to deliver the best possible experience to our players.
- Admin Tools - You will build, maintain, and deploy an essential suite of administrative tools that empower various in-house departments and key external partners to directly and securely interact with PsyNet to control game features and analyze player activity. Your deep understanding of both game features as well as studio processes will be instrumental in delivering solutions that simultaneously improve user experience and increase studio efficiency.
- DevOps - You will own the delivery, scalability, and reliability of our backend platform serving hundreds of thousands of concurrent world-wide users. You will leverage modern DevOps, SRE, & CI/CD practices to engineer systems and processes that automate/minimize operational toil and drive proactive infrastructure improvements to optimize our operational efficiency.
What we’re looking for
- 2+ years of professional software engineering/coding experience relevant to at least one of the areas described above
- Experience designing, developing, testing, & maintaining web services/microservices and APIs
- Proven ability to write and maintain effective technical design documentation
- Proficiency in verbally communicating complex technical concepts
- Experience architecting online systems
- Experience with SQL databases
- SRE experience developing and operating web services at scale
- Someone who is user-focused, passionate, scrappy, solutions-focused, and innovative. These traits equal success at Epic and influence everything we do.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Evening, overnight, weekend, holiday and on-call work may be required. You must be available to participate in on-call escalation rotations if needed.
Nice to have skills
- Proficiency with C#, PHP or Go
- MySQL experience
- Cloud experience
- Docker experience
- Kubernetes experience
Epic Job + Epic Benefits = Epic Life
Our intent is to cover all things that are medically necessary and improve the quality of life. We pay for 100% of the premiums for both you and your dependents. We offer coverage for Medical, Dental, Vision HRA, Long Term Disability, AD&D and Life Insurance, 401k.
All Epic employees enjoy drinks, snacks, and lunches every day, free of charge - and we offer plenty of annual celebrations for employees and family members to show the love we have for our people. Additionally, each year, we celebrate the Epic family with company-wide paid breaks, generous paid time off, and recognize individuals for 7 years of employment with a paid sabbatical - we think our people are pretty awesome!
Like what you hear? Come be a part of something Epic!
Epic Games deeply values diverse teams and an inclusive work culture, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. Learn more about our Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Policy here.