(Closed) Technical Mission Designer
At Cauldron, we are passionate about empowering gamers to become the hero of their own adventures. We believe that a great story unites a global community together, and we are excited to bring the best creative talent in interactive entertainment to bring these stories, your stories, to life.
Proud to be part of the ProbablyMonsters family of studios, our team is working on an unannounced, original AAA Adventure game and eagerly welcome those interested in learning through collaboration, and pushing the boundaries of their craft. We are looking for a world-class Technical Mission Designer who can work with narrative leadership to implement compelling stories and gameplay experiences, to go from concept to completion building in Unreal 4. The ideal candidate is a hands-on tool user with strong blueprint know-how and the ability to actualize narrative-driven gameplay in Unreal. They should demonstrate a high level of proficiency, experience, and passion for conveying purpose, capturing emotion, and creating compelling content in games.
Who You Are:
- Unreal is your tool of choice to create world-class player experiences through a variety of creative storytelling techniques.
- You have shipped at least one AAA game in a technical or design role.
- You love diving into Unreal Blueprints, Sequences, and Cameras to develop workable solutions and designs that can be demonstrated to your peers and leads.
- You have a deep grasp of narrative that uplifts gameplay and the player's experience.
- You can easily communicate, break down, and demonstrate the complex relationship of player engagement with both narrative and design to create moments that stick with players well after the adrenaline of combat has worn off.
- You can identify and advocate for narrative opportunities to the narrative design director and other studio leads.
- You love dreaming up worlds to discover and explore, and use your designs to tell that story.
- You are excited to collaborate in a creative team environment and are capable of working well in both independent and team environments.
- Aim for efficiency, decisiveness, and aim for world-class experiences.
What You Will Do:
- Prototype narrative-based gameplay within the engine to test our new ideas through an iterative process.
- Collaborate with writers and the systems team, using Unreal blueprints to create an exciting moment-to-moment narrative experience.
- Exercise a deep knowledge of narrative-driven games, showcasing a keen ear for telling stories in a dynamic space with third-person combat.
- Work closely with the narrative and design leadership to design, implement, and polish compelling player-centric narrative experiences.
- Execute across all stages of development: from verbal ideas to feature documentation and in-game implementation.
- Evaluate tools and pipelines for continued improvements, creating specs to work with Engineering to bring them to fruition.
- Balance player intent and character motivation that caters to a diverse player base.
- Drive project goals, priorities, and vision across interdisciplinary teams to deliver high-quality features from start to finish.
- Own and refine narrative features and improvement efforts, from ideation through delivery to players.
- Maintain clear and concise documentation for designs and systems you develop.
- 3+ years in a narrative design role.
- Experience with Blueprint in Unreal 4 Engine is a must.
- Must have shipped at least one game using Unreal Blueprints.
- Experience creating and owning narrative features and designs to appeal to a broad audience.
Established in 2016, ProbablyMonsters is a next-generation independent game company that creates long-lasting studios and exceptional games. Revolutionizing the way AAA game studios are built, ProbablyMonsters provides its teams the resources and creative environment needed to foster stable, rewarding, and life-long careers while delivering best-in-class entertainment through a positive people-first culture.
We have built three studios so far. Each of them has a unique identity built around the type of gamer experience they are creating. Knit together inside the ProbablyMonsters family culture, all studios are bonded by the core values of respect, trust, accountability, and approachability.
Connected by the company’s mission to unite, guide, and empower developers to create exceptional entertainment experiences, developers at Cauldron are given the confidence, security, and stability to create and ship their games free of distractions.