Software Engineer III
Do you have a passion for building highly entertaining experiences? Do you love experiences that connect people and expand horizons?
Private Division is a developer-focused publisher that empowers studios to develop the games that they are passionate about crafting, while providing the support that they need to make their titles critically and commercially successful on a global scale. As a new division of Take-Two Interactive Software, the label publishes Kerbal Space Program, has released Ancestors with Panache Digital Games, The Outer Worlds with Obsidian Entertainment, and published Disintegration with V1 Interactive. We are headquartered in New York City with offices in Seattle, Munich, and Las Vegas. We are growing our capabilities to allow us to continue bringing phenomenal games to players and are looking for a new software engineer to build our studio near Seattle, WA.
What We're Working On
Kerbal Space Program 2 is the much-anticipated sequel to the beloved Kerbal Space Program, the game that launched a thousand aerospace careers. We’re extending the game in every possible direction — forward into a future of space colonization and next-gen technology, upward to new star systems, and outward toward approachability. KSP2’s gorgeous and beguiling universe combines with a radically improved user experience to attract and foster new players while satisfying existing fans’ appetites for new challenges. We’re also bringing a new social dimension to the game with an all-new multiplayer experience, allowing friends to collaboratively build an interstellar civilization. We believe that by preserving and extending the magic of the original game, a new generation of fans will be given a chance to fall in love with the fearless, ever-curious Kerbals as they explore the cosmos.
As the Senior Engineer on our team, you will be responsible for delivering the all-up architecture and design of our game software, working with engineering professionals. Your job is driving engineering excellence and shipping on time! You are a clear and streamlined communicator, and a phenomenal teammate. You excel at being equal parts mentor and hands-on developer. You will evaluate and understand the potential performance impacts of various implementation possibilities and will make evidence-based recommendations on our path forward. You’ll make deep contributions to crucial technologies that make our product unique, and you will hold the team to high standards by demonstrating solid practices for code reviews, system design, documentation, testing, and quality software implementation. You will collaborate with leadership, improve tools and processes, work with QA, and drive us to shipping a game that our players will love!
- Own the all up technical architecture for KSP2, including refactoring existing systems.
- Create and document top-tier technical designs as needed for new features.
- Prototype and implement new game-play and foundational features.
- Identify and fix client and server performance issues, across multiple game platforms (console and desktop).
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
- 7+ years of professional software development experience
- High level of proficiency with C#, C++, or an equivalent OO Language.
- Has contributed to major components of at least two shipping games on the Desktop, Xbox, or Playstation platforms.
- Strong communication skills, the ability to work closely and professionally with a team of peers.
- Excellent understanding of the Unity Game Engine, ability to quickly problem-solve in this environment, make full use of its capabilities, and extend the engine in significant ways.
- Experience with simultaneous shipping on multiple game consoles, such as the Xbox and Playstation platforms.
- Expertise in several of the following domains: multi-thread/multi-core optimization; networking/multiplayer and Major Cloud Service implementation (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud); 3D Rendering and Shader implementation/optimization; Game Physics and 3D math; AI, Simulation, pathfinding; Asset streaming, Dynamic LOD, and mesh Tessellation; Audio synthesis and DSP.
- A passion for space exploration, rocketry, satellites, and related entertainment media.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.