Pocket Gems seeks to build the greatest games and most compelling interactive entertainment in the world. That’s the mission our founders began with in an apartment above a pizza shop back in 2009 and it continues to inspire us today. Since then, we’ve grown to over 200 people in San Francisco, and with $155 million in backing from Sequoia Capital and Tencent, we’re constantly breaking new ground in mobile entertainment.
Our products have been downloaded over 450 million times by players around the world. In recent years, we’ve launched Episode, a mobile storytelling network and platform, and War Dragons, a visually stunning 3D real-time strategy game.
As our community of players continues to grow, we’re committed to building diverse and inclusive environments across our teams, and in our games.
As a Backend Engineer, you will be a part of our Data Infrastructure team and help scale our infrastructure to facilitate the processing and recording of billions of events per day. You will be working on some of our biggest projects as you build APIs that enable us to deliver offers and recommendations to millions of players in real-time games!
What We’ve Recently Accomplished:
- We released the 3rd generation data pipeline for the company which successfully reduced the latency from 24hrs to < 5m.
- We migrated all our infrastructure configurations to the IAC system using tools like Ansible, Terraform, Alembic, Vagrant, and Docker.
- We released a new unified logging system for our R&D teams to start logging within minutes using any client library of their choice.
- After doing extensive benchmarking on several data warehousing solutions, we redid all our pipelines and migrated petabytes+ of data from Amazon Redshift to Google BigQuery.
What You’ll Help us Accomplish:
- Develop highly scalable and reliable backend microservices for our games like leaderboards, IAM, etc
- Improve and build infrastructure tools, like A/B test system and crash reporting systems that are mission-critical to the business
- Implement flexible, reusable, and scalable solutions to improve our data pipelines
- Build web tools to support our internal teams with data analysis and visualization, which influences what we build for our players
What You Bring to the team:
- Minimum of 4 years of professional engineering experience in the backend
- A degree in computer science, engineering, or relevant field
- Experience working on distributed systems
- Knowledgeable on AWS, GCP, Hadoop, or backend related technologies
- Strong skills in data structures, algorithms, software design and OOP
- Note: Prior mobile/gaming experience is NOT required
Extra Gems for:
- Experience in working on dev-ops and/or infrastructure teams
- Experience in working on ETL (data pipeline) system
- A love for games!
Read more about what we’ve been up to!
- Pocket Gems Blog
At Pocket Gems, we're building teams that value originality, inclusivity, and accountability. While we believe we offer competitive perks, such as annual bonuses, unlimited PTO, 401k matching, and a generous benefits package, we hope to engage with talent based on our core values.
Pocket Gems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.