Software Engineer II
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Software Engineer II, PS Social Applications
The Software Engineer II in Social Applications is responsible for the design and implementation of interactive web-based services. Strong technical background and analytical thinking is encouraged and the ideal candidate will be heavily involved in designing, crafting and maintaining Java code, as well as providing component and system level designs for Sony’s PlayStation Network platform! They will work with peers, designers, technical architects on the development of large-scale systems that support current and future social experiences on our network. Are you interested in joining the PlayStation team in San Diego?
- Design, implement, ship and maintain highly visible consumer-facing social features
- Design and develop real time, efficient and highly scalable APIs for the entire PlayStation Network portfolio
- Produce thorough design and development documentation
- Suggest solutions and designs for complex problems, achieve team consent and buy-in
- Work independently, under tight time constraints, respond to evolving requirements and strategic shifts in direction
- Experience with end to end ownership
- Adhere to key principles: Code and design for best performance, scalability and resiliency;
- Write and execute unit, integration, and functional tests
- BS/MS in Computer Science or a related technical field; 4+ years of coding experience in Java and experience with REST services
- Required 3+ years working in high scalability server backend systems
- Strong relational and NoSQL experience like Cassandra and Couch Base data-bases
- Extensive experience building and developing Cloud-based multi-region applications or services, in AWS
- Extensive experience developing high scale, distributed applications using Spring Boot, and leveraging CDN technologies
- Solid foundation in CS with an emphasis in data structures, software design, cloud design, and asynchronous programming constructs
- Ability to do technical deep dives into code and deployments
- Active role in troubleshooting, monitoring, mission critical dashboards and provide customer feedback channels, periodic on-call duty, and defensive engineering to minimize impact
- Proficient in SCRUM/Agile methodologies
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Experience working with Kafka or other message brokers in high volumes;
- Experience with search engines like Lucene, Solr, and ElasticSearch
- Kubernetes experience preferred
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.