PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognised as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Role: Software Engineer
What you'll be doing:
- Work in all areas of software engineering, including:
- Investigation of problems and possible solutions
- Design and architecture
- Development and coding
- Unit testing and QA support
- Scaling the server hardware to ensure proper system performance
- Provide domain direction as well as architectural or technical leadership.
- Own multiple major technologies/features. Influence overall strategy of a project/product. Recommend, champion, and adopt new technologies to increase efficiency.
- Significantly impact design/commercial success or address future concepts, products or technologies.
- Be accountable for domain dependencies and critical paths. Anticipate risks and provide contingency solutions and timelines.
- Pursue and resolve complex or unchartered technical problems.
- Network with key contacts outside own area of expertise.
- Model and promote high standards for testable design and automation both within and outside team. Mentor senior and junior engineers.
- Under the Product Owner’s direction, add features to and debug the PlayStation Terminology tool suite, including PST Author, PST Search, and PST Import/Export tools (PHP, jQuery, and MySQL running on Linux and Apache).
- Be in charge of planning, designing, and configuring the tool suite. Regularly monitor and troubleshoot, ensuring the team has necessary backup and recovery systems in place.
- Run weekly database releases to enable a variety of end users located globally to access up-to-date terminology.
- Create and maintain access control levels across different geographies and different types of users. Work with LDAP server to authenticate users for system security and validation.
- Support tools that contain data in 40+ languages. Work with the localization team to plan and execute localization of applications as requested.
- Work on critical path projects for consumer-oriented product packaging and manuals. Support the UK Project Manager on the following:
- Conduct editorial reviews of manual and packaging copy, ensuring compliance to established standards for style, tone of voice, brand and trademark guidelines.
- Facilitate stakeholder reviews of manuals and packaging.
- Provide recommendations for improving use of automation in content development, including:
- DITA-related tools and processes
- Authoring, editing, and review tools
- CMS and other repository/archival systems
- Global application of unified systems across SIE regions
What we are looking for:
- A degree in computer science or related field, or a degree in technical communications with relevant experience in software or database development; an advanced degree preferred
- Minimum 6 years experience in software or database development
- Demonstrated experience architecting web-based applications running in Linux against a back-end database
- Ability to maintain Linux servers in a multi-server VM infrastructure
- Able to plan, write, edit, and deliver end-user documentation, applying best practices and industry standards such as DITA, Git/Github and other systems
- Technical knowledge of information architecture and data analysis preferred
- High problem-solving skills, strong attention to detail
- People skills to enable interfacing with other team members for development and other teams to exchange information, coordinate efforts, perform testing and complete associated aspects of development
- Experience working with culturally diverse teams across the globe
- Specific skills:
- MVC model
- MySQL database
- FTP to copy files around SVN for source code control
- Batch scripting
- Linux and Apache
- XML/XSLT to create PDF files
- VB Scripting (Excel)
- Discretionary bonus opportunity
- Private Medical Insurance
- Dental Scheme
- London Allowance (if applicable)
- 25 days holiday per year
- On Site Gym
- Subsidised Café
- Free soft drinks
- On site bar
- Access to cycle garage and showers
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.