Senior XR Software Engineer
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Senior Software Engineer, XR Research
PlayStation HQ in San Mateo, CA
Sony PlayStation’s R&D team builds many of the technologies that allow new ways for gamers to experience extraordinary interactive content. Our group develops technology contributions for platform level products like PlayStationVR.
We seek an experienced software engineer to research, discover and develop concepts and prototypes and bring these new technologies into production. Here, you will be central to our global efforts in introducing PlayStation’s new AR and VR concepts. Your efforts will provide new ways of user interaction within the high-volume production of state-of-the-art XR peripherals sold globally. If this is you, please apply!
- Conduct research and development of new AR and VR concepts, including Example Applications, Games and User Experiences
- Adapt to middleware game engines like Unreal Engine, Unity, etc.
- Working multi-functionally with other groups (graphics, hardware and algorithms/ML) to build a common vision
- Lead and maintain their own projects, including scheduling and reporting on progress
- Experience programming with C++ and scripting languages such as C#, Python, LUA, etc.
- Min. of 4 years professional experience developing interactive entertainment projects
- Knowledge of 3D development and experience with Game engine middleware (Unity, Unreal Engine, etc.) or custom-built Game engines
- Professional level understanding of 3D math
- Experience with Graphics processes and development (Writing Shaders, etc)
- Good understanding of Augmented and Virtual Reality products, technologies, and concepts
- Self-motivated with an ability to take initiative
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- A passion for games and game technologies
- Ability to work well within a team environment for integration and final delivery
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a similar field
Nice to Have:
- Experience of shipping a game on any platform
- Some console programming experience
- Familiarity with 3D modeling and CAD software (Maya, etc)
- Some knowledge and experience with using hardware components and building micro-electronics projects related to communications, tracking and display systems
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information, including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information, including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.