Senior Service Reliability Engineer
As a part of Sony Computer Entertainment, the Future Technology Group (FTG) is leading the cloud gaming revolution, putting console-quality video games on any device, from TVs to consoles to mobile devices and beyond.
Our Service Reliability Engineering team plays a significant role in delivering on the promise of a great cloud gaming experience to our customers. We do this by influencing design and operational decisions towards the overall stability of the gaming service. Our SREs focus on three main things: overall ownership of production, production code quality, and deployments. The successful candidate will be self-directed and able to participate in the way we make decisions at different levels.
We expect our SREs to have opinions on the state of our service and provide critical feedback during different phases of the operational lifecycle. We are engaged throughout the S/W development lifecycle, ensuring the operational readiness and stability.
- Minimum of 5+ years working experience in Software Development and/or Linux Systems Administration role.
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Available to be scheduled in on-call rotation.
Skills & Knowledge
- Proficient as a Linux Production Systems Engineer, with experience managing large scale Web Services infrastructure.
- Development experience in one or more of the following programming languages:
- Python (preferred)
- Bash, Go, Java, C++, or Rust
- In addition, experience with at least 3 of the following topics:
- Distributed data storage at scale (Hadoop, Ceph)
- NoSQL at scale (MongoDB, Redis, Cassandra)
- Data Aggregation technologies. (ElasticSearch, Kafka)
- Scaling and running traditional RDBMS (PostgreSQL, MySQL) with High Availability
- Monitoring & Alerting (Prometheus, Grafana), and Incident Management toolsets
- Kubernetes and/or AWS (deployment and management)
- Software Distribution (Package management and distribution at scale)
- Configuration Management (ansible, saltstack, puppet, chef)
- S/W Performance analysis and load testing (QA or SDET experience: a plus)
- Taking a leadership role in ongoing improvements in Reliability and Scalability
- Work closely with SRE Management to define KPIs, processes and drive continuous improvement
- Influence the architecture and implementation of solutions within the division
- Mentor more junior SRE staff and enable them for success
- Act as a voice to represent SRE in the wider organization
- Represent the operational scalability of solutions in the wider division
- Lead small-scale projects from inception to implementation
- Design platform-wide solutions and provide technical leadership during their implementation
- Demonstrate a high-level of organizational skills and initiative in the role