Senior Environment Artist
PlayStation isn’t just the best place to play… it’s also the best place to work. With the launch of the original PlayStation in 1994, we set out to thrill gamers with amazing experiences. Our never-ending pursuit to push gaming to new heights is the reason we are recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. Under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation, the PlayStation brand and experience exists because of the passionate dedication of our team who work hard for everyone to play.
Senior Environment Artist
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
The Visual Arts Group and PlayStation Malaysia are a passionate team within the PlayStation family, provides world-class content, development, and services to PlayStation’s studios all over the world. Always at the cutting edge of technology, Visual Arts works with studios like Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Santa Monica Studios, Guerrilla Games, Bend Studios, SuckerPunch, San Diego Studio, Japan Studios, and more first-party teams. Our team is made up of game and film industry professionals from all over the world, working with some of the best minds and companies around.
Why work when you can play? This is life at PlayStation!
We are looking for a highly talented, motivated and creative Senior Environment Artist to work on unannounced AAA projects. In this role, you will define workflows & process and help build an internal Environment pipeline. You will assist with staffing, scheduling and budgeting of Environment Assets.
The Senior Environment Artist will be required to work with the art lead and Studio Art Director to create both in-game and in-game cinematic quality environments and props within a range of styles. The focus will be on environmental art pieces and set dressing.
Ability to create environments from both detailed concepts and a single photograph is required. A big plus is the ability to take and provide direction from concepts or rough direction to final model/texture.
- Create in-game art and in-game cinematic art assets to VASG/client specifications
- Creating and/or supervising the creation of proxy mesh/gray box art assets to internal team
- Set Dressing: This includes placement of objects for both aesthetic and gameplay purposes; ideally should have an understanding of environmental storytelling
- Take an environment to from grey box to final quality (end to end) including collision and baking lighting
- Evaluate effort estimations to ensure man days are in-line with current project schedules
- Create and/or modify existing assets as necessary, may be required to create both hard surface and soft bodied assets from scratch
- Quality control art assets prior to delivery to client
- Work with clients/supervisors to revise and respond based on feedback for both aesthetic and functional purposes
- Test levels in-game and assess both aesthetics and performance on PS4
- At least 5 years' experience as an Environment Artist, with at least 2 shipped AAA titles
- An advanced understanding of in-game and in-game cinematic art asset creation
- An advanced understanding of Maya, as well as ZBrush or Mudbox
- Ability to use in-game technology to finalize assets
- Understanding of in-game testing to test/optimize for frame rate while balancing aesthetic needs
- Experience with set dressing within a game engine (Unreal, Crytek, or proprietary)
- An advanced understanding of in-game art asset creation including hardsurface props, soft rigid assets such as clothing items, vehicle, weapons, etc…
- Experience working with external outsource vendors
- Experience working on previous cinematic projects
- Experience working with a game engine and engine tools
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.