Manager, Game Design
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Manager, Game Design
Are you an experienced game developer with a penchant for high quality, 3 rd person, Action/Adventure games? If you enjoy PlayStation’s library of games and top-tier studios we want to hear from you!
PlayStation is building a new game development team in partnership with the Visual Arts Service Group (VASG), an award-winning, full-production studio that specializes in Animation, Motion Capture, Cinematics, Art and Scanning. This is the same world-class team known for its contributions to beloved franchises like The Last of Us, Uncharted, Death Stranding, God of War and more. For more than a decade, we have shared knowledge, support and cutting-edge techniques with the very best developers in the industry: Naughty Dog, Kojima Productions, Guerrilla Games, Santa Monica Studios, Sucker Punch Productions, Bend Studio, Japan Studio, Insomniac Games and more.
This high visibility project is being developed in collaboration with a major Sony development studio. Though currently unannounced, we have a clear vision and plan to release. Our game development team will leverage our existing expertise and premier talent, guaranteeing a high visual quality bar for the title.
- Responsible for all major design-related tasks: systems, encounters, behaviors, combat, balancing, collaboration with art and animation, etc.
- Delegate design-related tasks to team members
- Track work progress; follow up to ensure goals are being met
- Present, communicate and advocate development team perspectives as appropriate and needed
- Develop interpersonal relationships with team members; know their personalities, strengths, and weaknesses
- Use scripting language and other tools to implement and integrate complex gameplay scenarios
- Author readable scripts with comments that other members can adjust if needed
- Verify, approve and fix scripts so that all design scenarios work as desired. Consideration for checkpoints, difficulty levels, and cinematics
- Collaborate across disciplines to get work done and clear dependencies
- Collaborate directly with artists, programmers, animators and other game designers to contribute to the vision of the game
- Support the professional goals and development opportunities for the development staff
- Provide coaching (internal development opportunities, mentoring, one-on-ones)
- Plan and execute (or secure) relevant training and conferences for the team
- Counsel as needed (including PIPs and other corrective/disciplinary actions)
- Preferred: 5+ years designing and scripting single-player levels for console games
- At least 1 shipped AAA title
- Minimum one development cycle managing, coaching, and mentoring engineers or technical developers
- Experience with staffing and team building
- Previous experience delegating design related tasks
- Experience scripting complicated level scenarios & combat encounters considering checkpoints and game saves
- Experience with creating and fine tuning NPC behaviors and actions
- Good working knowledge of Maya, 3DS Max or similar 3D package
- Project scheduling experience
- Strong and effective communication skills
- Previous experience shipping a 3 rd person action game
- Console development experience
- Proficiency with Maya
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.