(Closed) Lead Analytics Engineer
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, PlayStation™Now, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Data Strategy and Operations (DSO) is responsible for providing global business intelligence solutions to Sony Interactive Entertainment.
The DSO department has grown rapidly over recent years in response to an increasing need for the business to leverage data to inform and shape key decisions, and to identify new opportunities. Currently there are approximately 130 staff within the DSO team, split between London and California, made up of high quality Business Intelligence (BI) and data professionals covering architecture, infrastructure and platform support, data processing, insight reporting, predictive analytics, machine learning, scrum masters and product management
Due to team expansion DSO are looking to recruit talented, highly driven individuals who have excelled in previous roles and are looking for a new challenge in a dynamic and rewarding environment.
Role: Lead Analytics Engineer
What you’ll be doing:
This is a very exciting opportunity to join PlayStation as a Lead Analytics Engineer in DSO. In this role, you will help lead the growth and adoption of DOMO as an global insights platform across PlayStation. This role is within the Analytics Engineering function of DSO, reporting into the Senior Engineering Manager, based in London. You will be working closely with them on the strategic direction, architecture, development and support of not just DOMO, but other tools and special projects in DSO.
As a Senior Analytics Engineer, you will:
- Help lead and grow the adoption of DOMO as an insights platform across PlayStation.
- Work directly with globally distributed teams to gather requirements and understand the business domains, looking to provide solutions that empower those areas.
- Translate requirements and collaborate globally to design and develop across multiple technology platforms.
- Design performant and engaging UX/UI data visualisations.
- Deliver insights and analysis, primarily using DOMO.
- Empower teams within PlayStation to self-serve and innovate on the DOMO platform.
- Troubleshoot production issues and user queries.
- Help motivate, guide and mentor other members of the global Analytics Engineering function.
- The ideal candidate will have extensive experience across the whole of the DOMO platform as well as deep expertise in other Business Intelligence vendor tools such as Tableau, Looker and others.
What we are looking for:
Skills Required (essential):
- Bachelor’s Degree (2.1 and above) in engineering, maths, economics or computer science.
- 2+ years of recent experience of the DOMO platform (across all aspects of the platform).
- 7+ years of experience of business intelligence development across multiple technology vendors, such as, but not limited to Tableau, MicroStrategy, Looker, Qlik, PowerBI, etc.
- Strong communication skills. It is vital that the successful candidate can explain complex technical issues in non-technical terms to business stakeholders.
- Demonstrable experience with at least one of the following database technologies and familiarity with the others: relational, columnar and NoSQL (i.e. Snowflake, Redshift, MySQL, Oracle, MSSQL, Vertica, MongoDB).
- Proven experience in effectively partnering with business teams to deliver their goals and outcomes.
- Extensive SQL centric project work.
- Demonstrable experience in visualising data and designing user-friendly BI products
- Passion for turning complex data into UX focused, intuitive and performant insights.
- Experience with a wide variety of business data (Marketing, Sales, Finance, Operations, etc.).
- Goal oriented with strong attention to detail.
- Must be self-motivated, responsive, professional and dedicated to customer success.
- Possess an innovative, problem-solving, and solutions-oriented mindset.
- Demonstrated ability to learn quickly, be a team player, and manage change effectively.
- Exceptional organisational, presentation, and communication skills – both verbal and written.
Skills Required (desirable):
- AWS development experience and certification (preferably AWS Big Data Specialty).
- Experience working with real-time event stream data feeds (Kafka, MQ, Kinesis, MuleSoft Anypoint, etc.).
- Experience with or exposure to scripting/data science technologies (Java, Python, R, etc.)
- Experience with statistical methodologies.
- Experience of integrating API frameworks into wider business intelligence solutions.
- Experience of extending core business intelligence platform functionality using the platform SDK or API framework.
- Exposure to Data Science, Data Modelling and analytics
- Discretionary bonus opportunity
- Private Medical Insurance
- Dental Scheme
- London Allowance (if applicable)
- 25 days holiday per year
- On Site Gym
- Subsidised Café
- Free soft drinks
- On site bar
- Access to cycle garage and showers
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.