Intern Engineer (Research and Development) - 12m FTC
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognised as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Role: Intern Engineer (Research and Development) - 12m FTC
R&D are PlayStation’s technology experts. We develop innovative technologies that push the boundaries of play, helping game developers make the best games on PlayStation by creating a world class SDK.
Based in the PlayStation Research and Development department, you will be working as a member of the London Audio team. This team is responsible for many different areas of research, including Audio, Machine Learning and Procedural Generation.
We are looking for an Intern Engineer to help with creating the best technology for the PlayStation platforms, focusing on advanced audio.
The successful candidate will work hands-on with the latest audio technologies, feeding directly into the work the team produce.
What you'll be doing:
- Researching cutting edge audio algorithms e.g.
- 3D audio
- Audio propagation
- Procedural audio generation
- Implementing working prototypes and plugins
- Working with stakeholders to bring components to the PlayStation SDK
- Working with developers to understand their needs
- Connecting different technology areas such as Machine Learning and Audio
- Presenting work locally, as well as to global partners
What we're looking for:
- Programming and prototyping skills (C/C++)
- Passionate and knowledgeable on audio topics
- Self-motivated, driven and ambitious
- Good problem-solving skills
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal
- Basic concepts of signal processing
- Basic understanding of acoustics and psychoacoustics
- Other programming languages (Python, MATLAB etc)
- 3D audio and/or HRTF processing algorithms
- Experience of console platforms
- Machine Learning
- Audio propagation
- Game audio tools and middleware
- Discretionary bonus opportunity
- Private Medical Insurance
- Dental Scheme
- London Allowance (if applicable)
- 25 days holiday per year
- On Site Gym
- Subsidised Café
- Free soft drinks
- On site bar
- Access to cycle garage and showers
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.