Environment Art Lead/Supervisor
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Environment Art Lead
San Diego, CA
Sony PlayStation’s Visual Arts Services Group (VASG) on our San Diego campus provides world-class content, development and services to Worldwide Studios. Our team is always at the cutting edge of technology and partners with the industry’s best minds and companies. This is your opportunity to work closely with game and film industry professionals from all over the world and under one roof!
We are looking for a highly talented, motivated and creative Environment Art Lead or Supervisor to work on an unannounced AAA project at Sony San Diego. In this role, you will define workflows & process and help build an internal Environment pipeline. You will assist with staffing, scheduling and budgeting of Environment Assets.
- Lead a team of environment artist to create AAA quality game environments.
- Help build and mentor a world class environment team.
- Manage environments from grey box to final engine implementation including geometry, shaders, textures, and engine-specific elements.
- Create in-game art assets with a strong aesthetics and understanding of form, structure, construction, composition, light and color design.
- Use a strong sense of environmental storytelling and motivated-design to set dress levels with an eye to the visual benchmark and gameplay elements.
- Provide daily reviews and concise feedback to maintain art quality standard, technical specifications, memory budget and game design for all levels.
- Work with Art Director to set the golden standard across all environments.
- Work with technical lead to improve and optimize levels and in-game performance.
- Collaborate with internal outsourcing managers for asset creation and delivery.
Required Experience and Skill:
- Strong portfolio demonstrating realistic environments.
- Deep understanding of game environment modeling pipeline.
- An eye for high quality and efficient organic and inorganic game art asset creation including vehicles, plants, geological features and buildings.
- An expert level understanding of Maya, Photoshop, Substance Designer/Painter and/or any relevant software.
- Advanced knowledge of physically based rendering (PBR, PBM, PBL)
- Ability to use in-game technology to finalize the look of assets and environments.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- A passion and understanding of world building.
- 7+ years’ experience as a game artist
- Shipped at least one AAA title as a team lead.
- Experience working with external outsource vendors (OS).
- Understanding of the technical and artistic aspects of level lighting.
- Mari, Marvelous Designer, Vegetation creation tools experience a plus.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information, including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information, including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.