PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognised as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
The Data Strategy & Operations (DSO) team has grown rapidly over recent years in response to an increasing need for the business to leverage data to inform and shape key decisions, and to identify new opportunities. Currently there are over 100 staff within the global DSO team, made up of high quality Business Intelligence and data professionals covering BI architecture and platform support, data processing, insight reporting, predictive analytics, scrum masters and product management.
Due to team expansion DSO are looking to recruit talented, highly driven individuals who have excelled in previous roles and are looking for a new challenge in a dynamic and rewarding environment.
Data Scientists in the DSO team apply advanced analytical methods and tools to drive value from the data through techniques such as customer segmentation, predictive modelling, forecasting and other algorithms. Our work delivers an in depth understanding of consumer behaviours and support multi-channel targeting and personalization.
What you’ll be doing:
- You will work in our London offices in an agile team based in a combination of the UK and US, supporting stakeholders throughout the global business in areas such as marketing, operations, CRM, product planning and development, R&D and retail.
- Have the interest and aptitude to quickly develop a deep understanding of what makes our customers tick through understanding the data. And you will have the inter-personal and technical skills to work across the business to bring that insight to application.
- Be involved in a wide range of analytical project activities: from requirements gathering through data modelling and processing; carrying out segmentation or building predictive models; performing deep insight; presenting findings to stakeholders and building reusable data products through close collaboration with the relevant data engineering teams.
- You could have a background in data sciences, consulting, computer science, customer insight or elsewhere, but you will be passionate about turning large volumes of data into actionable insight and have the blend of commercial and technical skills required to do so.
- Primarily based in London, but a global role supporting colleagues in Europe, the US and Japan.
- Delivery of analytical activities, such as customer behaviour segmentation or predictive modelling
- Apply appropriate statistical techniques to answer product questions and understand consumer behaviour
- Design, build and support reusable data analysis structures within the technical environment; enabling self-service analytical capability for key technical stakeholders
- Work with Product Managers in DSO to gather requirements from stakeholders, prepare and present analysis results
- Communicate findings to other technical and non-technical teams
- Facilitate cultural adaption to enable a data driven business
- Act as an ambassador for DSO; maintain and enhance DSO reputation and profile within the business by building strong relationships with stakeholders and positively contributing to DSO delivering the highest possible value from people and technical resources available.
- Some global travel may be required, usually to Sony offices in California or Tokyo.
What we are looking for:
- Masters degree or PhD in a relevant technical or mathematical field
- Exceptional analytical, quantitative, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills
- Strong data management skills including SQL
- Experience with data science and statistical analysis in Python
- Strong written & verbal communication skills; including the ability to present detailed analyses to a broad audience range
- Ability to work collaboratively with other business units in order to achieve common objectives
- Organised self-starter, with drive and commitment; able to work with little supervision.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to maintain effective working relationships
- Strong academic background including grade A in A level maths, or international equivalent
Skills required (desirable)
- Experience with a wide variety of major data science / statistical analytics tools and programming languages (for example Python, SPSS Modeler, SAS, R, Scala, Spark)
- Experience working with data science tooling on major cloud computing platforms
- Experience of visual analytical tools such as Tableau
- Experience of working as a Data Scientist within an agile team
- Experience of relevant industries (e.g. gaming, digital commerce, subscription services)
- Interest in gaming
- Discretionary bonus opportunity
- Private Medical Insurance
- Dental Scheme
- London Allowance (if applicable)
- 25 days holiday per year
- On Site Gym
- Subsidised Café
- Free soft drinks
- On site bar
- Access to cycle garage and showers
Please note we can only consider candidates with the right to work on UK.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.